Find
Notify
Tools

Re: M1 Garand loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
There are some M-1 Garand web sites your search engine can find for you. You might want to visit some of them.

As suggested above, IMR or H 4895 would be my powder of choice. Whatever you do, stay away from anything slower burning than about IMR 4064, unless you like buying new op rods at $50 to $100 per copy. Slow burning powders create too high a gas pressure at muzzle and gas-port and will bend op-rods, which leads to all kinds of not very salubrious results.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember the first rifle I saw blow up . I worked at a rifle range 30 + years ago while in high school.
The range master shot his reloads in his new M1 Garand and it blew up cutting his face and hand pretty good.
He must have been useing some hot load.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Scott, Hornady has a section on loading for the M1 Garand. Stay w/ 150-172gr bullets & the med. burning powders. It's hard to go wrong w/ IMR4895 or equal. Great old guns, I have a .30-06 & .308, both DCM & both rebuikt as they were wrecks as they came to me.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im looking for some info on reloading for garands. Ill have one coming to me in a few weeks and i cant wait. Ill start out with some military surplus stuff, but id like to try to work up some loads later on. Can anyone reccomend any loads to try or where i might look to find more info on reloading for a garand? Thanks.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote