Just bought at a super price a BR3 to replace my 38 year old Saeco
Powder measure. Sure was a big suprised to find that it's not any
More accurate that my old Saeco! Would adding a baffle help
Much with consistency?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have a Hornady with a baffle and it works pretty good. Its mounted on the AP press and It works with Bullseye and 2400 for pistol.
I also have a Lyman #55 that I have used for many years and I set it up to throw a few tenths under and trickle in the remainder.
With that I picked up a Lyman auto scale that I use it has 2 feed tubes one for volume the other for trickle. it pretty much replaced the #55 for rifle loads. I still like the #55 For pistol if I only load a couple dozen cases.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also have a Lyman #55 that I have used for many years and I set it up to throw a few tenths under and trickle in the remainder.

I've been using that measure (Lyman #55) and method for 40 years. Back when I did a LOT of .38 Spl for PPC I threw direct from the #55 and spot checked about every 10th.

Now I get close and trickle the last bit.

A baffle would help some. And ball powders throw better than others.

Posts: 66 | Location: Port Crane, NY | Registered: 11 February 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I've always used that same method throw under then trickle to the load with a beam balance scale.
I don't load pistol just rifles. The powders that I use are extruded. Mainly R17,4320,414, 4381,R19,4895,R15, 4350 ocassionaly.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What powder or powders are you using? With ball-type powders the Redding (and possibly the Saeco) is absolutely dead on an never varies measurably. With coarse stick powders any powder measure, including the Redding, will vary a bit, however, the Redding is usually a bit more consistent than less-closely machined models such as the RCBS. With "short cut" stick powders I find that my Redding is usually consistent enough that no check-weighing is necessary. Using something like conventional 4350 or 4831 I will drop-and-dribble.

I don't find much if any difference in charges thrown with a full hopper vs. a nearly empty hopper, which indicates that a powder baffle would have minimal impact on charge consistency. However, it stands to reason that coarse stick powders, which are subject to compaction, might meter a bit more consistently with a baffle in place.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My BR-30 throws good charges with whatever powder I use if the charges are 30 grains or less. I have an old Holiday powder measure that will throw charges up to 60 grains with very good consistency. My Neil Jones measure is as good as they come. Designed for charges in the 20 to 40 grain range. Very consistent.
The BR-30 is a very good measure. Good luck and if you shear powder, weigh the charge.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote