2 questions from a new reloader.
Remington Model 7 7mm-08
RL15 powder
Winchester Cases
CCI Primers
Nosler Partion Bullet Spitzer 140gr
Whitetail Hunting (out to ~100 yards)
RCBS Rock Chucker & Redding Dies
1) I was told by a local expert that if you're reloading for the same rifle you only need to neck resize. He went on to say that after the 1st shot the case sized itself to the chamber and begam a perfect match to that rifle. The only resizing that needed to be done was for the neck/bullet.
2) He also recommended a process of marking a bullet with a magicmarker, slighlty inserting it into an empty case and chambering the round. Next, take the round out of the rifle subtract 1/16" and that becomes my ideal cartridge lenght. According to him that process puts the bullet close to but not touching the lands.
I haven't been able to confirm either of his recommendations in the manuals. Are these sound and safe reloading processes?

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
That's one way to do it. And it can work. The main thing is for the round to fit in the magazine unless you want a single shot.

I prefer using the Stoney Point tools to determine the length to the lands and use it to measure from the bullet's "datum" line to the case head. After measuring, you can keep a written note on how deep and be able to duplicated it with much trouble.

Stoney Point

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That way works for me. After you substract the 1/6th, reblack the bullet and make sure that it indeed doesn't touch the lands. Then use your magic marker to write on the side of the case what wgt and brand bullet it is. And put it in your dummy file. That way, if you change bullet types, you don't have to go thru the rigamarol again when you change back, just adjust your seater stem until the seater rest firmly against the bullet and you're back.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When a fired round is extracted from your chamber the case should be concentric to your chamber, now the secret is to keep it that way. I use Wilson NS knockout dies for sizing, no dreaded expander ball. Take several measurements with your Stoney Point OAL guage because it's not an exact science. Most of my shooting is at the bench where I don't have to worry about magazine length. As to how far in the neck to seat the bullet the only major concern is that the bullet is in the case far enough to get a good grip on the bullet. If you want seat the bullet long and let the lands push it back when you close the bolt. Then shorten it a tiny bit for clearance if you wish. Just one mans opinion, but it works. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote