New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Rem dies to use
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am ready to purchase a set of dies for the 35Rem and was wondering what ones to get. I'm really liking the Lee dies. Would the neck collet die work or the FL dies be better. This is for a Marlin 336.
Thanks,
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the lever gun you might look into a small base size die. These dies size them a little smaller in the base area and give more reliable feeding. Not saying that full length doesn't work. I use them for a pump gun but using neck dies may be asking for trouble. To answer your question, I'd get the F/L dies.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welll...lesseee...Lee, Hornady, RCBS, Lyman all make fine dies for the .35 Rem. I know of no one who makes small base dies for that round.

I use Lee's collet neck die with my 336, works fine; very good accuracy, looong case life. I've reused the same two boxes of R-P brass for maybe 15+ years, each case has been reused maybe 5-6 times,some maybe 10 times, without any need to FL size. (I don't plink with that rifie, I do that with my Md. 39 .22 rf. I kill deer with my 336 so I don't need masses of ammo.)

THE bullet for the .35 R is the 200 gr RNCL from Remington; it's MADE for that cartridge. From my experiece, ALL other .35 bullets are made for higher velocity and won't expand as reliably as the Rems. I buy from MidwayUSA, not the local gun shops - they don't carry 'em.

The 200 gr. Hornady's shoot as well but they don't expand as well; tuff jackets.

With the Rem. bullet seated to the canalure over 39.3/IMR-4064 mine gets 2,050 fps and shoots groups 1/2" wide and 1 1/4" high, consistantly. I love it. Deer hate it.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wellllll Jim C., as usual, you're right again. I thought I had a sb die but don't. I still full length size the brass for hunting and use a lee factory crimp die. I found a long time ago that full length sizing is the best bet for hunting ammo, especially big game. You're also right that the 200gr round nose is the best bet for the 35 Remmie.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wellllll Jim C., as usual, you're right again.

Wellll...you're kind but there are a few people who would strongly disagree! Smiler

Thing is, I'm not sure but ALL .35 Rem dies may be "small base" since about all that round is chambered in is the 336. If that guess is true, it is SB but calling it a SB would be irrelivant!

Hope you enjoy your .35 as much as I do mine! When I got it I also FL sized, "just to be sure" but on a whim I ordered the Lee Collet neck die. For a LOONG time after starting neck sizing I carefully test chambered every round before puting it in an ammo box but I've given that up, there has NEVER been a round that failed to slide right into the chamber. I just LOVE low pressure ammunition!

Good hunting to you!

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim C,
That's what I was wanting to know about the collet die. I have most of the time purchased Redding or Foster dies for my rifles. Then on a whim tried the Lee Collet die in 222 & 223. Less runout! Even beat my neck bushing dies.
I think I'm going with the Lee collet for this too .
Thanks,
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load for a Rem 760 with Lee dies, work fine.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got RCBS dies for my 35 Rem...works just fine.
I also finish off all my lever gun rifle rounds with a Lee factory crimp die to keep bullets from being being compressed further into the brass when loaded in the tube magazine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
tried the Lee Collet die in 222 & 223. Less runout! Even beat my neck bushing dies.

Get's amusing when you read web "experts" loudly bashing Lee stuff, don't it?

I have RCBS .35 dies too. Also a Lyman set. Both work fine. Seems they all work fine so I rarely even mention what I use 'cause it rarely matters. But I REALLY like my Lee collet neck and crimp dies.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I had a set of lee dies for my 336 35 Rem and had no problems whatsoever. Not the collet dies either, the run of the mill dies.

Getting my BLR to accept reloaded stuff was another story.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10168 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swordfish
posted Hide Post
I have no problems with the RCBS FL die set I use.
My .35 Rem. lever guns have never seen factory ammo since I've owned them.

Posts: 242 | Location: Florida | Registered: 18 September 2008Reply With Quote