Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 ACP powder
 Login/Join

posted
My friend has a dillon progressive and let me load some 45acp. He uses 5.1 grains of universal clays for a 230 grain fmj bullet. I find it dirty and see unburned powder in my chambers. Can anyone suggest a different powder and load for this combo? I have a lee one stage so I would like to try some others. Thanks, John

Posts: 3 | Location: New Braunfels, TX | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I burned the original clays, and liked it. I really liked VV 3N37 in 38/357, but never tried it in 45. In general, I like the V-V powders, but am of the opinion that one would hard pressed to beat Unique. It offers the best charge weight/pressure ratio for the 45, and is supposed to be cleaner than the Unique of 25 years ago.
The 45 needs a good taper crimp to be at its best as bullets can take a beating going over the feed ramp. A poor crimp can allow bullets to be forced down into the case increasing pressures.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have also found Univ. Clays dirty @ less than max. loads. Run it up to 5.5gr see if it helps. If you still aren't happy, switch to Hp38 or WST. BTW Clays & UNiv.Clays ARE NOT THE SAME.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
Try 5 gr. of Bullseye. This is the load to duplicate GI ball. Burns clean for me. wave

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I will try your suggestions. John

Posts: 3 | Location: New Braunfels, TX | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Titegroup, but you use so little of it (4.5-4.8 gr with a 230 gr bullet) that you have to watch and be certain you do not double-charge a case! At the higher end of the scale, the powder burns very cleanly in my 3 .45s.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unique offers the best charge weight/pressure ratio for the 45, and is supposed to be cleaner than the Unique of 25 years ago.

Unique works very well in the .45 but it burns about like corn cobs in mine. Big Grin Maybe I got hold of an old batch. I found that Accurate #5 burns a bit cleaner for me.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load a lot of IMR 700X for .45 plinkin loads. Seems to work fine in several kimbers, 2 colts, 2 S&W's and a few tauruses. I got started doing this because i had 2 kegs of 700x laying around that i used to load in 12 gauge shotgun shells but i slowed down on the skeet shooting and needed another way to burn the stuff up...works fine for me
Ruck

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
Hey John, I am using something that some might not consider for the .45 ACP. Ramshot True Blue. Loading 7.0 grains under a 200 gr. SWC from Oregon Trails, it has been extremely accurate. It is a high density ball powder, 950 grams per liter, so it meters excellently. It is also very low flash and burns very clean. I originally got it for higher pressure cartridges like the 9mm and .40 S&W. I will probably try it in the 10mm as well. It is like Unique in its ability to be loaded with success in just about any handgun load. But it is slower on the burn rate chart. It acts like a faster burner in the .45 ACP. This is a competition grade powder from Belgium. If you haven't heard about it, you will. Competition shooters that had been using Vihta Vouri powders are using it already.

They had data for the .45 ACP, so I thought why not. My first purchase was 4lbs and I just bought a new Ruger P-345 that I knew it would be a great candidate for loading +P 185 gr. Defense loads with. First loads were more accurate than the Remington factory +P load. I then tried it to see how it would work with Oregon Trails 200 gr. SWCs. The 7.0 grain load provides cloverleaf groups. Seems like it will make a great IDPA load. My shooting partner has a new S&W 1911 Sc and it just flat out loves this load. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of oneills
posted Hide Post
Try 5.0grs of Win231 with a standard primer and a 185 to 200gr lead semi-wadcutter projectile. 231 seems to be made for the 45.

Posts: 73 | Location: Vic, Australia | Registered: 19 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have lots of 230 grain bullets so I want to stick with that weight. I have heard lots of good things about 231 so I will start with it. I will try as many others as I can afford. Once again thanks. John