New
Find
Notify
Tools

hey man.....that thing is smokin'
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is the feedback i got at the range the other day when i was shooting 45LC and 357 Mag handgun loads using UNIQUE and TITEGROUP powders.

Any cleaner? good powders out there that aren't so smokey when burned? For these calibers?

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We need to know a little more about the loads that are generating enough smoke to bother you. Most important is the nature of the bullet (jacketed or cast) and the lube if cast.

Cast bullets will generate some smoke. Certain lubes can generate a lot of smoke.

Propellents that burn dirty leave carbon and flecks of unburned powder. They are usually a minor contributor to the smoke generated. Only way to tell for sure is to use that powder to push a jacketed bullet.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Look in the barrel. If there is a lot of residue, it probably means you're shooting light loads. Heavier loads will probably smoke less (of course, don't increase the loads above a safe level).

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you are shooting lead bullet loads, they smoke, period.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VV powders are among the cleanest I've ever assembled using lead bullet loads in .357 & .45 Colt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
and yes, cast lead bullets and light loads....
I expected some smoke, but got way more than I expected. Thanks for the input.

I will try VV powders. been wanting to for some time.
thanks again

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Just tell them that you are experimenting with coal fired ammo since the price of smokeless is high.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote