Find
Notify
Tools

Best 300 Winchester E Tip Bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,

Nosler recommends dropping down a weight or two for E tip bullets. Would I be better off with a 150 or 168 grain bullet? We are talking elk. My max shooting distance is 400 yards. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some 180gr E-Tips.I've only shot paper with them and they shot really well.One thing I would like to note,they are as long as the 200gr Accubonds.So with the long bearing surface you may need to drop down a grain or so from what regular cup and core 180gr loads would run.I don't hear too much about the E-Tip bullets,but I've never heard anything bad about them either.They have a fairly high B.C.for the bullet weight.I've never used a mono-metal bullet on game so I really can't say how well they compare as a hunting bullet.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, to dropping down in weight with a mono.

Use whichever gets the best accuracy. The game won't notice any difference.

Using a 130gr Barnes TSX in my 270Win, I hit a bull elk behind the right leg and the bullet ended up busting the upper left leg bone, and then exiting the elk. The bull took 2-3 steps and dropped.

The shot was lasered at 417yds.

So, yes, a mono can perform vey well at longer ranges, even when somewhat lighter in weight than 'normal'.

Keep bullet weight in perspective: there are 437.5 grains in one ounce, so reducing the weight from 180gr to 168gr is next to nothing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can drop down if you want, and if it makes you feel better, but you can also work back up to where your were in most cases and shoot the same monoliths as your Nosler partitions or accubonds for instance. I do this so I can use the same powder charge with any bullet of the same weight that I wish to use and it works keeping my POI the same in most cases, most of my guns will do that and if not they go down the road. Some will put all loads to the same POI..If your experienced enough or comfortable working up to a true max load in your rifle its amazing what can be done with it..If not then shoot all your loads a grain or two under book max, and simplify your life and besides it wont't make much difference to start with, no elk will know the difference in a mild load or a hot load, and accuracy wise will be measured in few inches or less, Its just fun and games.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BighornBreath:
Hello,

Nosler recommends dropping down a weight or two for E tip bullets. Would I be better off with a 150 or 168 grain bullet? We are talking elk. My max shooting distance is 400 yards. Thanks in advance.

Barns TTSX 168-180g & a case full of RL22 is my go to 300WM recipe tu2

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote