New
Find
Notify
Tools

PARTIAL FL SIZING 223AI
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I fireformed 100 rounds in my 223AI using Lapua brass. Went to partial full length size them and wasnt getting any change in measurement using my Hornady headspace thingggy. Yes I am using the correct thinggy for the AI case.

The ran a few cases thru the die (Redding 223AI FL die) and the case mouth wasnt getting sized by the button/decap assembly.

Me thinks my die is defective?? Any suggestions?

2nd suprise was that a cleaned, fired case fit my chamber with very slight resistance. I did fireform with full power loads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i only neck size my ackley cases.
they get resized about every 5th loading.
annealing first.
the cases last a long,long time this way.
your redding might be one that takes a bushing.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have your decapping thingy threaded in far enough?? I can't imagine a die that the resizer stem won't thread in far enough to actually bottem out.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
i only neck size my ackley cases.
they get resized about every 5th loading.
annealing first.
the cases last a long,long time this way.
your redding might be one that takes a bushing.

Nope...it's not a bushing die.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Do you have your decapping thingy threaded in far enough?? I can't imagine a die that the resizer stem won't thread in far enough to actually bottem out.

It bottomed out so I took it apart and was able to pull set it a bit lower. 13 other sets of Redding dies and never had this happen to me.

I shoot a lot of 30-06AI and also anneal every 5 shots and bump the shoulder back via the partial FL sizing method.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Went to partial full length size them and wasnt getting any change in measurement using my Hornady headspace thingggy

What measurment? From rim to shoulder?

How far did you screw the die into the press?

I have a set of Redding 30-06AI dies that would not come in contact with the shoulder. I had to send them back to Redding and have .020 taken off the bottom of the die.

Call Redding, it's possable you dies may not be in sink with your AI chamber.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
steve,

sent the die back yest. i think the die is the issue.