New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 WSM Primers seat too easy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was reloading 300 WSM for the first time and the primers seem like they seated far easier than any other primers I have ever seated. Has anyone else ever noticed this with 300 WSM? I am using new Remington brass, Winchester large rifle magnum primers (WLRM), and the old style RCBS hand priming tool (uses the regulars shell holders, in this case RCBS #43). If anyone else has experienced this I'd sure like to know.

steve nelson

Posts: 148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester LR/LRM primers are among the smaller in diameter; I've had the same problem with the 270WSM. I switched to CCI.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noticed my current batch of WLRM primers seat easier than other primers, but I've never had any troubles with them. They always stay in place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildboar and duckboat thanks for the replies. I was working up a load for Nosler 180 gr partitions with IMR 4350. I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet. Reassuring to know that I am not the only one who thought they seated really easy.

steve nelson

Posts: 148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I use Federal primers in my 270WSM. After the brass has been used about 7 or 8 times I have had issues with primers not going in as snug as they did the first time. Most of loads are at max or near it. So I usually toss my brass when I start feeling the primers going in loose. I have never had one fall out but I don't chance it.

After I switched to Remington Brass it seems to last a little longer than the Winchester.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i loaded some win brass sunday went and shot them came back and reloaded them along with some new win brass and there was no diff.the first ones were shot about 4 times so far.i was using cci primers

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of marquezlc
posted Hide Post
I agree I think the Winchester primers might be a little smaller than others.

Posts: 50 | Location: Northern NM | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote