Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hmm...Question about hazmat shipping
 Login/Join

posted
Natchez Shooter's Supply and Cabelas seem to have different harzardous shipping interpretations. Here are the two company's policy as as stated by thier website.

Natchez

"When shipping powder or primers on UPS Ground Service, a $20 UPS Hazardous Material Charge will be added to your order per 50lb box of hazardous material.
Products Max Box Weight UPS Hazard Charge
Powder & Primers (Mixed) Up to 50lbs $20 per 50lbs box
Ammo only incurs hazard charges when shipped Air Service - there is no Hazardous Material Charge when shipping ammo Ground Service. UPS hazard shipping fee on ammo via air shipments is $30.
You can ship up to 50lbs per box of powder and primers mixed together. If you order more than 50lbs of powders and primers mixed, a second $20 UPS hazard charge will incur for up to 50lbs in an additional box."

Cabelas

"NOTE: Shipping regulations require that primers and powder, even if combined on the same order, be shipped in separate packages, each with an additional $20 hazardous material shipping fee in addition to regular shipping charges."

Anybody know why the significant difference? Which one is correct?

posted Hide Post
Maybe I wasn't too clear in my original post. Natchez Shooter supply charges $20 per order regardless if you buy both primers and powder. Cabelas charges $20 per order of primers or powder and charges $40 if you order both! Both companies say that these are UPS policies and not their own.

Anybody else notice this or does everybody buy their powder and primers from a local store?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
In checking most sites they say that primers and powder can be combined in one package up to the powder limit.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I have always been able to combine primer and powder up to 65 pounds per package for one H
azMat fee.

You will also find there are some outfits that only sell powder in case lots, and charge the $20 fee for each case.

Others will only pack 20,000 primers per case and charge the $20 for each 20,000 primers.

This all kind of reminds me of the outfit that is selling a new digital camera for $5.99 (while other outfits are charging $1,295.00), but the shipping/handling/insurance charges are $1,500!

More realistic is the outfit selling a camera for $150 less than the competition, but in order to get that price you have to buy a bunch of useless junk (and the junk price adds another $250 to the price)!

Ya gotta learn to shop...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Since Cabelas used the specific words "shipping regulations" in their disclaimer I was under the impression that this fee was a policy uniform throughout the industry.

I also checked Lock, Stock, and Barrell and they have the same policy as Cabelas. I guess I will be buying my stuff from Natchez.