New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primers
 Login/Join

<Umebo>
posted
This weekend I went to the range to try out a new load for my m/96 6.5x55 using 123 grs Lapua Scenars and N204. Since the local dealer was out of my old primers, CCI200, I decided to try Remington no 9� LR.

Out of the seven first rounds (loaded with 44.0 grs of powder), three clicked! I have never ever had a click in that rifle before! I continued to load more rounds, with extra attention to the priming, and only one in aprox 50 clicked.

I guess the Remington primers are harder to ignite than CCI200? Is there anyone else who have had problems with Remington, or is the rather old rifle to blame?

/M

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used many remingtons but I did have a batch of cci 200 that would give me hang fires. When you mass produce anything some times things go wrong.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would check on firing pin protrusion and primer seating depth. Also check headspace of the cartridge to be sure you have not set the shoulder back too far,and now the case just moves ahead when the pin hits the primer.

Or maybe your spring is getting weak.

------------------
May I be half the man my dog thinks I am.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Umebo. The first batch you loaded had seven misfires, the there was only one misfire after "carefully priming". I wonder if there might not have been some oil left on your hands that could have contaminated the primers? Something to consider.
paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<monyhunter>
posted
Just this summer I was working up a load for my brother's .243. He has some loads he had used that called for the rem 9 1/2 primers. I went to load some up and as I was seating them I could not feel as much resistance as I thought. I tried a few more and felt the same "easiness" to seating the primers. I then picked up a few of the ones that I had already primed and saw that a few of them had no primer. Hummmm.....what's going on here. Looked on the table and there sat the primers. They had failed out!! So now I thought that maybe the primer pockets were too big, even though these cases had only been used 2-3 times.

To make a long story short, after checking all other possibilities it ended up being a bad lot of primers. I loaded up the cases with federal primers and went shooting.

------------------
Monyhunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course, check everything everyone else told you to check. Meanwhile, I had three failures to fire in two boxes of factory Remington ammo. Sent two of the cases back. They pulled the primers and said they were OK, said my indent looked OK, too (but I had multiple strikes in an attempt to get the round to go off).

This was with an H-S Precision pistol in 7mm-08. I have had no misfires or failures to fire with Hornady ammo or with my reloads (Federal match primers).

A lot of people say Remington primers are a bit harder. I think they know what they're talking about.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Umebo>
posted
Well, thanks for the replys. I think the misfires in the first batch was caused by not properly seated primers. Headspace and such was not changed at all so that is propably not the answer. Oily fingers is more likely, but I usually try to avoid that.

Interesting though that more people have had problems with Remington. I think I will stay with my old CCI200:s. That "click"-sound aint very nice to listen to...

/M

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Umebo:
That "click"-sound aint very nice to listen to...

/M

It would be wise to check the spring force on your fireing pin.

I just cured a similar problem on my 'new' colt light rifle which came with a fairly light (low force) fireing pin spring.

Sorry I don't have numbers on how many pounds of force the before and after springs have, but someone must know what it takes to fire a primer reliably.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Umebo,
FWIW, the only primer I had any trouble with, like you, was the Remington 9-1/2. Misfires in a rifle that had never misfired before, and the only thing different was the Remington primer. I think they do have harder cups or I got hold of a defective lot of them. I avoid them from now on. Federal or CCI is what I prime my cases with.

------------------
RAB

Picture of reloadin
posted Hide Post
I am having trouble with misfires on my 38 special loads and have tried winchester and cci primers. Does anyone know of a softer, easier primer for a light spring action smith 686.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I understand that Fed. makes a softer cup for their primers. I used to use them in my Sharps for that reason.
Moneyhunter, a note, RP primers are slightly smaller in diameter. Just enough to slide into the primer pocket & fall out if the pocket has expanded much. I use them in RWS brass because the pockets are just slightly undersized & my Fed. are a crush fit.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a similar problem, but I don't remember the brand of primers I was using. I was using these loads in a rifle that has a "shallow" firing pin, i.e. it doesn't protrude as much as most other rifles, or, to put it differently, the dent it makes in the primer is slightly shallower than what is made by most rifles. I finally realized that the problem was occurring because I was pushing my primers too hard when inserting them into the cases.

If you use a priming device such as the Lee Auto-Prime it is possible to seat the primers too deeply -- or maybe it's actually crushing them -- if you push the pedal to the metal. After I realized that this can happen, I learned to push the pedal down only to the point where the primer is pushed home -- you can feel when that has happened -- and I had no more problems.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington primers "feel" harder and seem to require a little more effort when seating. This is the reason I switched to a lee hand primer vs. the loading press so that I could get a better feel as the primers were seated. Always use a primer pocket uniformer before seating your primers and your troubles will go away.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Umebo & Reloadin:
Clean out your dirty primer pockets. If your primers are not seating all the way down or seat cock-eyed then you get a cushion effect when the firing pin stricks the primer. Use a primer pocket uniformer and clean your pockets after each firing. You can also get media dust and residual crap from your tumbler operation also.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I swear by rem. 7 1/2 primers for my .223's,never had a hitch,,use winchester for everything else.The only thing I've ever had a hang-fire with is some greek .303 mil surp ammo,,,,,10 second hang fire,,,,NO JOKE!!!!Glad I held to what preached,,,Kept position and waited,and it finally lit,,,head stamp GB 50 7,,,Be wary,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote