Find
Notify
Tools

Light Hawk bullet in 9.3x62?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of befus
posted
An online friend just passed on to me a box of Hawk 200 grain bullets in 9.3 caliber. I read the Hawk's are fine bullets, but have no data on loads for a 200 grain bullet in the 9.3x62 chambering. I have not found any online either. Anyone care to recommend a powder or load for a Husqvarna 649 using the light for caliber Hawk?

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a Hawk bullet, regardless of the thickness of jacket or weight that didn't come apart or at the very least where the lead was just laying against the jacket...I had a 175 gr. .50 jacket or there abouts blow up on a spine shot spike Mule deer...I had a bunch of bullet failures in Africa with the Hawks..They are just a bullet that I have not had good luck with...I do think they would be alright in the old slow moving winchesters...They are simply old fashion bullets with no bonding or means of controling expansion other than soft copper and jacket thickness, and when you cut through their hype, thats all they got....

In the 9.3x62 which I have used on all manner of game for years, its darn hard to beat the 286 gr. Nosler and the Woodleighs...And now Northfork makes a great bullet in that caliber...These bullets are inexpensive and are premium bullets with partitions, bonded cores and never fail...

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have never seen a Hawk bullet, regardless of the thickness of jacket or weight that didn't come apart or at the very least where the lead was just laying against the jacket...I had a 175 gr. .50 jacket or there abouts blow up on a spine shot spike Mule deer...I had a bunch of bullet failures in Africa with the Hawks..They are just a bullet that I have not had good luck with...I do think they would be alright in the old slow moving winchesters...They are simply old fashion bullets with no bonding or means of controling expansion other than soft copper and jacket thickness, and when you cut through their hype, thats all they got....

In the 9.3x62 which I have used on all manner of game for years, its darn hard to beat the 286 gr. Nosler and the Woodleighs...And now Northfork makes a great bullet in that caliber...These bullets are inexpensive and are premium bullets with partitions, bonded cores and never fail...

I am totally sold on North Forks. I have shoot them extensily in my 9,3x62 this fall and my gun shoots in the ,3s with the 250grs bullet leaving at 2600f/s.

I have recovered one bullet from a small 5x5 red stag bull that I shot from an elevated position sitting on a mountain ridge about 90y higher than the buck. I shot it 1" left of the spine, took out the side spine-crushed the left shoulder blade- through the chest cavity- folloved the right upper arm bone for 4"- crushed the right shoulder joint- exited the chest-penetrated completly through the right front leg and was recovered in the dirt below. 93% recoved weight 21mm diameter. The buck never moved.

I also had a buddy recover one in a Red Stad doe shot from the front- took the shoulder-4 ribs- through the chest and intestants-crushed the hip and was recovered in the hide right by the a hole. Recovered weight 176grs and was 16mm in diameter. In his gun the bullet shoots 1" at 200meters.

These are the only two bullets we have managed to recover. All others have penetrated all animals regardless of angel.

Hopefully we will have someone who can relaod them in a High Energy factory load for us(suggestions anyone?? 30-06,308 for starters) and we will marked them full scale in the Scandinavian marked from 2006. It is a tremendous bullet that in my opinion deserves much more attention than it receives today

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote