New
Find
Notify
Tools

264 Win - Replacement for H870
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been searching for something that will replace H870 in my 264. Believe I finally found it. Winchester Supreme 780 seems to give the accuracy I want. Next I'll take my Chrony to verify that velocity is on par with what the manual says.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using WC 872 for a number of years. The burning characteristics of surplus powders vary, so it is necessary to work up every batch individually. However, the 8 lbs I've been using in my .264 yields excellent velocities at sustainable pressures. It is very consistent in chronographed velocities and accuracy (excellent) is equal to any powder I've used in this rifle.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I 2nd WC872 I have been using it for 10years or so. Works great with many over bore calibers and I also use it with my 50 bmg. It's still pretty cheap powder pick some up and give it a try

http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html
http://hi-techammo.com/
http://www.wideners.com/

Jason

Posts: 81 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingYou might look at DP 86. It appears to be somewhat slower burning than the 4831s And in a number of cartridges it has performed just fine for a number of my shooting buddies and myself. Hope you can still find it. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then you could try IMR7828 as that is what the factory used in factory ammo. The 264win mag was the only cartridge that was loaded at the factory with a canister grade powder.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried US869? I used to load Hodgdon H870 in 7STW. When I could no longer find 870 I contacted Hodgdon and they suggested 869. It worked great. Loads almost the same weight.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramshot Magnum has been giving excellent results, been using it with 120 and 140 gr. bullets. So far I've been using it in a 26" barrel.

A new M70 .264 with 24" barrel is supposed to be showing up any day now, looking forward to trying it out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Divernhunter:
Then you could try IMR7828 as that is what the factory used in factory ammo. The 264win mag was the only cartridge that was loaded at the factory with a canister grade powder.
IMR 7828 is substantially faster than H870. In my tests it runs only 2-4% slower than H4831, or about 10% faster than H870 (although rating powders on a percentage compared to another powder is only an approximation in that several factors go into how a powder will behave under various circumstances.)

By the way, when Remington-Peters began using IMR-7828 in some of its factory loads IMR-7828 had not been released as a canister powder. Besides, the powders which factories use, even when manufactured to the same specifications as canister powders, often vary in burning characteristics. The factory tests each lot and adjusts the load accordingly. This is why, even when the factory uses a "canister" powder, you cannot duplicate a factory load simply by pouring in the same amount of powder since the powder used by the factory likely varied significantly from that which is within the specs to retail to reloaders as canister powder.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stone creek---I know all of what you said but I suggested the powder as a starting point since the bulk version was used by the factory. Just as IMR4895 was the canister version of the powder used in the mil 30-06 and what the M1 Garand was developed around. I understand that since either cartridge was introduced other powders have come out and MAY be better suited for the 264 or the 30-06 in something besides the M1 Garand.
At the time the 264 came out the 7828 powder was the slowest small arms powder used. The info I got was that they actually used a canister grade 7828 in the 264 and it was the only cartridge that was done with. The info may be wrong but it came from a good source and not just an internet thing. I read this long before the internet. I think in a 1960-70's mag

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the suggestions, I've tried and found lacking most of the recipes listed. Haven't tried WC872 though.

Here's an update from my Saturday range test:
Rifle - Win Mod 70 classic 26" bbl
Brass - Herters
Primer - WWLRM
Powder - Win Supreme 780 x 65.0 gr
Bullet - Nos Acubond 130 gr
Av Vel - (@ 15') 3147 fps
Sd - 9.46
Group 1 .97 (5 shot @ 100 yds)
Group 2 - 1.22 (5 shot @ 100 yds)
Group 3 - .9 (5 shot @ 100 yds)

That's settled it for me.

Notes:
1. This load might be capable of better accuracy but the nut on the end of the stock is a little loose and that's about as good as I can shoot.
2. According to the manuals, this is a moderate load but adding powder made the groups enlarge in my testing.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I use WC 872 also. Slightly better performance for me than WC 869 but so close I'd be happy if 869 was all I could find.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been using WC 872 for a number of years. The burning characteristics of surplus powders vary, so it is necessary to work up every batch individually. However, the 8 lbs I've been using in my .264 yields excellent velocities at sustainable pressures. It is very consistent in chronographed velocities and accuracy (excellent) is equal to any powder I've used in this rifle.

+1 for WC-872. Ditto what Stonecreek said.

Good luck.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since your load is 65 grains with a 130 grain bullet, the Supreme 780 must be very close to the burning range of H4831/RL-22/IMR-7828. WC 872 is somewhat slower and you will likely need to completely fill the case, or nearly so, to achieve optimum velocities with it. My rifle with the standard SAAMI zero-leade throat will digest about 80 grains of WC 872 under a 140 Nosler for around 3200 fps from a 26" barrel. Another .264 which has had the leade lengthened to allow seating the bullet further out will take a bit more and yield 3150 fps from a 24" barrel. WC 872 may vary by lot, as will your gun's ability to digest powder, so don't take these loads as gospel!

These loads are in WW brass. I have a great deal of Herter's brass for .264 and it has slightly less capacity than WW. Adjust accordingly.

The Herter's brass was manufactured in Sweden -- if the label is to be believed -- which was always questionable with Herter's. I assume it was made by Norma, but have no evidence to confirm that. Some Herter's cases were labeled "made in Finland". Again, if that is true, they would likely be from either Sako or Lapua. All good brass in my experience.