THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 Win. Loads for a Savage 99C Lever??
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, I'm a disabled Male in Wheelchair. I've got lots of empty brass from years of buying factory ammo, plus I bought 500 new unprimed Win Brass way back before anyone knew it was going to skyrocket.
I'm looking for any help in locating a good hunting load for this rifle. My uncle loaded me a bunch of 180 gr. Sierra BTSP with 42.5 grans of IMR4064 powder in the mid 90's, they are all used up now, and I want to get rid of the recoil also. Hoping to find a good load for 150 grain bullets, Maybe 165/168? I've heard goof things about Hogdon Varget being a great all around for 22-250 up through 7mm according to reviews from users? Anyone ever us Bulk Bullets from Remington in PSPCL for Whitetails?? I'm not looking for bench rest/competition accuracy, just a consistent 1.5 inch groups at 100 yds. ANY HELP APPRECIATED. I'm on a fixed income, so buying a powder I can use in both .308, 22-250 would be ideal. Thank You in Advance, Victor

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone ever us Bulk Bullets from Remington in PSPCL for Whitetails?? I'm not looking for bench rest/competition accuracy, just a consistent 1.5 inch

Yes I load them in 165gr in 308 and 300sav for a reduce recoil load I just take a 300 sav load and use that.

They kill deer and bear nicely.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks p dog shooter. Could you expand a bit on your load? Powder type, grains, primers? What your group size is with the load? I have mostly all Remington fired brass, and 500 new Win brass.I have CCI200 Lg. Rifle Primers, so I really need the help in choosing a powder? I didn't realize Rem. made 165 Gr. PSPCL Bullets. Good to Know. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With 150 grain bullets try 42 gr of IMR 3031.

With 165/168 gr bullets try 39.5gr of IMR 3031...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought a Tikka T3 in .308Win for my son about a year and a half ago for our recent hunt in South Africa. I wanted him to shoot 165gr projectiles and found that 44gr of Varget gave good to great results in all bullets I tried with the exception of the Barnes TTSX.

A nice inexpensive load for practice that we used were 165gr Nosler Ballistic tips. These frequently gave one hole groups.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Here's what works well in mine: http://forums.accuratereloadin...8721043/m/3941074871

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use WW-748 and that gives me the highest velocity and least pressure than any other powder, followed by IMR-4064 and Varget..I won't state my powder charge as I'm pushing to get as close as I can to a 30-06 and am getting to 2600 to 2635 FPS with the 180s in a 20 inch Ruger International carbine .308...

You are wanting less recoil and in a 20 inch .308 you can duplicate the good old 300 Savage and recoil is very light..

I like the WW-748 because it shows less compaction than any other powder I have tried and gets higher velocity in a carbine. Other powders are a squeeze.

P Dog,
I have used the 180 gr. .30 cal. Rem Corelokt bullets for years in my .308's and 30-06's, except I bought the RN version in 1000 bulk..and not sure they still offer the RN..Love those old corelokts in most calibers. However some guns don't like them. The 180 spitzer corelokt performs on game as well or better than the RN in my 06...The old corelokts were way ahead of their time, and they still work as good as any premium bullet at half the price..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I brought 2000 165s psp in bulk years ago just to make sure I would have bullets around. I would have to look but I think I am using bal-c2 in my 300sav.

I normally load a couple hundred at a time for any rifle. I only shoot deer with my 300 maybe 3 or 4 shots a year I haven't loaded any for a while.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 99 in 308 win. The biggest problem you will have if you reload for it is that the action is springy and when pressures get high, the brass takes a beating resulting in short brass life. Load to mid or mild pressures if you can. 4895 would seem a logical choice, however mine hated that powder. Mine liked 748 ball powder, fed standard primers, win brass, Hornady 165gr spire point bullets and loaded just under max load. That load killed countless deer including large muleys flawlessly The Savage 99 will take max loads with ease.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at my records 300sav CCI LR primmer RP case 165 gr rem psp 40grs BALC-2 for just under 2400fps

posted Hide Post
Hey Guys, THANKS For the Replies. It definitely helps me out, and gives me a good starting point/s! My Savage 99C isn't an older gun from the 50's!! I bought it New in 1984, with an Extra Clip, 2 boxes of Ammo, High See Thru Quik Set Mounts, 3x9 Tasco Scope, tax, out the door approx. $254.00. BOY TRY THAT TODAY!!! I'm pretty sure the designation 99C, denotes it uses a Clip/Detach Box Magazine? Anyone else have a Favorite Load, or a GOOD 180 Gr. load if I decide to stick with it?? I've never reloaded Before, so I'm all new to this. In my Thinking, I would have assumed that you need more powder to push a 180 gr, Bullet, than you would for a 150/165, but after reading posts, it seems the Opposite is True? Hard to rap my brain around the fact that less powder pushes a Larger bullet, more powder for Lighter Bullets?Any EASY Non Technical Explanation to this??
Thanks Again Everyone, Ironside.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Hi Ironside and welcome.

It is not so much that it requires more powder to push a bigger bullet, but that you are working with the limitations of physics, (IE, Maximum pressures). A smaller bullet is easier to push out the bbl and therefore will create less pressure. Wheras a larger bullet will reach the pressure limits of a given case/action a little sooner.

If you are looking to reduce recoil and are loading for deer then I would reccomend using a smaller slug than 180 gns. Personaly I would go with 150 gns. And the advice to use 300 Savage data is also spot on. The 300 Savage is basicaly a 308 at a lower pressure and there are numerous powders that work equaly well for either one.

If you dont have a reloading manual then you really need to get one and read it.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I have just finished loading up some plinking/hunting loads for one of my friends son. I started out with 35gr of Tac toped with 1gr dacron filler and 130gr bullets for his 308. As he gets used to shooting the gun, I will up the powder level.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote