Notify
Tools

Best powder for the 22 Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted
Hey guys
I've had a 22 Hornet that my father has let me to shoot for a while. I was wondering what are the best powders for this cartridge? I would be loading a 45 grain spitzer in it. Thanks for the help.
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RJ - I had a long term love affair with a 22 K Hornet until I practically wore the poor thing out. My hands down favorite powder was old faithful 2400. This is a good, honest and extremely versatile powder in almost any application.

I would start with it. Happy trails. Jim

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, I've had great results using H4227 and 40 grainers in the contender. I've also found using small pistol primers tightened the groups up. Good luck.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Jake:
Hey guys
I've had a 22 Hornet that my father has let me to shoot for a while. I was wondering what are the best powders for this cartridge? I would be loading a 45 grain spitzer in it. Thanks for the help.
Rich Jake

Rich if you can find some WW 680 try that or WW296
and a lot of people say little gun works great.

Posts: 46 | Location: Friendship,Wis. USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used WW680, 296, 2400 and 4227 with great results in several 22 hornets. I haven't tried it yet, but a good pal is playing with Lil' gun and also having great results.

have fun! you might want to try the 40 grain hornady SST for target work, they seem to be exceptionally accurate in my current hornet.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
<shooter223>
posted
I have a Hornet in a CZ 527 American. 13.0 grains of Lil Gun and seating the bullets (40 grain Hornady Vmax) .020" off the lands turned it into a "one holer" (1/2" or less at 100 yards). Unfortunately, with that OAL the cartridge is too long to feed from the magazine. shooter...

one of us
posted Hide Post
well ive loaded the hornet for nearly 15yrs now , cant sayany powder is bad, or great, seems it depnds on the gun itself . lil gun is what iam usein now use a bunch of imr 4227 also

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like grandpao, my CZ American 527 and TC Contender both prefer WW680. Unfortunately it was discontinued some time back and is getting hard to find. AA1680 is supposed to be the same formulation and it gives the same results as WW680 in my rifles. The CZ prefers Hornadys and the TC like Nosler BTs.
I am about to try and work up a load using Lil Gun for my CZ. Unfortunately my TC did not like it at all.
I also had acceptable results with H322 and H335.

<George Capriola>
posted
12.5 to 13.2 grains of Lil'Gun, with a small pistol primer. I like Federal #100's best.
Regards, George.

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Wow Thanks guys ! I have most of those powders you guys have mentioned H322,H335,Lil Gun, Imr4227, 296, & 2400. I guess I'll try them all out over time & see what this barrel likes. I have seen that thing with small pistol primers as well. That I will give a whirl as well.

I could have sworn that I saw RL 15 as being good in the Hornet as well Or am I mistaken on that one?

Rich Jake

[ 10-12-2003, 18:22: Message edited by: Rich Jake ]

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
I just checked some loading data & I see RL7 not 15. I don't know what I was thinking of.
Rich Jake

one of us
posted Hide Post
After years of loading Hornets and K-Hornets with Win 680 and the two 4227's, LilGun is the new favorite. Amazing powder in the Hornet and also cartridges like the 221 Fireball, 218 Bee, and 25-20. AA1680 is a bit slower than 680, and though good in the Hornet, I usually see larger than desired velocity spreads with 1680.
My experience with H110 and Win 296 has been generally bad; seems too quick for the Hornet,accuracy was poor, and pressure can rise rapidly. Max loads with those two powders should be approached with caution.
But you never know what your gun will like!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey RJ!
Not sure what length of barrel you are loading for, but in my 14" Contender Lil'Gun was far above the rest for accuracy and also showed excellent consistancy in all temperature ranges. Lil'Gun was also shooting less than dime size groups in a friends Ruger rifle.
Mike

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas, USA | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
W-296 From 8.0 grains to 11.2 grains
Remington 6-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
MBK

This is a Savage bolt action rifle. I'm not sure of the model off the top of my head, I'd have to look at it. It is something that I'm working on for a little project. I've heard that Lil Gun is quickly becoming a favorite for this cartridge. I'll definitely give it a try. Wish it is was a T/C barrel though ! [Wink]
Rich Jake

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using the sierra 45 gr hornet bullet with win 296 has been a good combo for me in conjunction with rem 7 1/2 primers & rem case.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote