New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for 357mag Load Data For...
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,
I have some 125gr Sierra SportsMaster Jacketed SoftPoints which I'd like to try for .357 mag using Accurate#5 powder. The Lee Manual has nothing for jacketed 125gr with acc#5 in .357, and the loads I've found online never seem to be way too different for a starting charge.
Anyone here have an Accurate Manual or a favorite start/max load for this criteria?
Thanks, Happy Father's Day!

posted Hide Post
quote:
the loads I've found online never seem to be way too different for a starting charge.

Sorry - I meant to say the loads I've found online seem to be way too different for a starting charge. Too much discrepancy.
Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This data for accurate powder comes via the CD version of Accurate Arms Powder Manual included in Lee Shooter.

AA#5

125 HornadyXTP--10.4@1521fps--start
^^^^^^^^^^--11.5@1728fps--max
8" test barrel

The Hornady is probably close enough to the Sierra to begin testing.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.357 Mag Load Data

Same data as 1funzr posted above but they use a 6" barreled test platform instead of the 8".

Starting 10.4gr. - 1369fps
Max 11.5gr. - 1555fps

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
AA-5 From 10.0 grains to 12.0 grains
CCI-550 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Those were the numbers I had found too, which I why I wasn't sure what Accurate had to say. I also found this at http://www.reloadammo.com/357loads.htm

10.1 gr (says use 10% less to start) = 9.1 gr

Since I've only reloaded about 50rds so far, I was suprised that "starting" charges could be anywhere from 9.1gr to 10.4gr.

Newbie question: when you come up with a range of numbers like that, is it best to split the difference? Perhaps Steve's 10.0gr is best then since it falls right in the middle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve's 10.0 gr. would be a very safe starting load. I don't think you would want to go much lower than that.

Steve's info is always good.... but work up in small increments to that 12.0 gr. maximum he recommended. That is a Very Maximum load!

Remember, you don't need to push a .357 Mag. to get awesome performance. A 125gr. pill at 1,300 fps is quite impressive! thumb

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have never used #5 for this caliber and actually never thought of it. I am going to give it a shot (pun intended) I have an excellent load for this same bullet with 17.5 gr of 4227. Flame thrower, but out of a 6" 686, the accuracy is unbelievable!

Posts: 1 | Location: Reno NV | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote