Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

173gr 308 question
 Login/Join

posted
I picked up a bunch of 173 gr military match bullets, but my attempts to get them to group have been less than acceptable.

I tried H4895 and I'm getting over pressure signs at 41 grains, which is 1 grain under max for a 175 gr. I tried backing the jump down from .010 which worked great on the 165gr, and got the same results.
Anyone have a recipe that worked well in a Savage 12 26"bbl with that bullet?
I have H4895, IMR4064 and IMR3031 to work with at the moment.
All the brass was once fired to fire form it to the chamber, trimmed to 2.005, and neck sized only, primer is CCI lg rifle.

Thanks

NRA Instructor

Posts: 3 | Location: NW CT | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would start with 38gr of IMR 3031, and work up.

I would start out with an oal of 2.80

However here is some info you might find useful/intresting:

The following is from charges I weighed from 308 National Match factory loads, all with the 173gr bullet.
All with what looked like an IMR powder.

LC 68 Match 42.3gr

LC 71 Match 40.8gr

LC 72 Match 41.5gr

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had pretty much the same experience with surplus 173 "match" bullets loaded in both the .308 and 30-06. Judging from the military packaging , I bet they go back to the 70's or earlier. Bullet tech back then was not what it is today. Also, being "surplused", they may have not met specs and were rejected by govt. inspectors. How does the rifle shoot with current match grade bullets of the same or close weight?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It is shooting Federal Power Shock 150gr at about half the group size and some bulk 165gr with 4064 I was getting micky mouse ears.

I don't have anything else over 165gr at the moment. I was hoping these might be ok, they look very nice and weights are consistant.

I'll have to order something else to try.

NRA Instructor

Posts: 3 | Location: NW CT | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote