New
Find
Notify
Tools

Setting up my Redding Dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just purchased a Redding Type S Full Length Bushing Die in 300WSM. All of my other FL dies are RCBS. The directions for this new Redding die say to screw it in till it touches the shell holder then back off one full turn. Then size a fired case and check for cambering, screw die in a little at a time until the case will chamber. This is what I know as "Partial Full Length" sizing, yes? My problem is I am using this bushing die for a BAR and PFL sizing is not such a great idea.

I have never had a Redding die before and I was wondering if I could just "screw the die down till it touches the shell holder and then down 1/4 more the same as I do with my RCBS FL Dies??
Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Steve, you can do that. The Redding dies are just the same as any other FL die, the only difference is that they use the bushing up top so that you can control how much you're sizing the neck, other than that, it's the same.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
You arn't gaining anything by going the extra 1/4 turn after touching the shell holder. You can only shove the case in till the shell holder hits the die. And bottoming the ram on the die is a good way to chip the die or worse.

The reason to back the die off 1 turn and then bring it in incrimentally is...

Just incase the chamber is a touch long, you can set the headspace dead nuts to your gun. With an auto loader you probably want to be on the short side (bump the shoulder back .002-.003") of the tolerance for positive chambering.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote