Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed with Nobel powders and 9.3x74R
 Login/Join

posted
First post here! I have tins of Nobel No1 and 0 to reload a 9.3x74R. The bullet is a 286gr norma soft point. There seems to be no data to be had on the web. Does anyone have any experience of reloading this cal with any of these powders? Regards Dog(uk)

Posts: 4 | Location: UK | Registered: 08 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have no Nobel data. However if Nobel RIF 1 and RIF 0 are the same as your 1 & 0 this burnrate chart has them listed. RIF1 just above Win 748 and Rif 0 Just below H 414.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp

Those MIGHT give you a starting place.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.Yes you are right. It is Rif no1 and 0 that I have. Will look for some comparative data. Thanks again. Regards Mark

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
My powder equivalent chart shows Nobel O eqivalent to IMR4350 & H4350 which is the same as AR2209 (AR2209 sold as H4350 in the USA). In my 7mm08 equal charges of Nobel O or AR2209 produce the same velocity and accuracy i.e. in this cartridge the two powders are seemingly interchangable. I have also used Nobel 0 in my 7x61 S&H with charges and results similar to those obtained with IMR4350 in this cartridge.

My chart shows Nobel 1 as being between IMR4320 and IMR4350.
The Nobel Handloading book lists loads for the 9.3x62 using Nobel 1 for the lighter bullets but Nobel 2 for the 286gr bullet.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Australian loading manual that lists both Nobel's Rifle No. 0 and No. 1, and the IMR powders. Not specifically for the 9.3x74R, because it was just about unknown here in 1980!

But going by the .375 H&H data, which uses similar bullet weights, IMR4350 is a very close match to Rifle No. 0, in charge weight [and velocity] terms. Similarly, IMR4064 is a very good match to Rifle No. 1.

That will give you starting points anyway, and be a little conservative - the IMR loads in the data run about a grain less than the Nobel equivalents above.

This burn rate chart has the Nobel powders in it: http://gsgroup.co.za/burnrates.html

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmm!

That Nobel 1 and Nobel 0 is how old? Is it yours that you have kept and just found? Or is it some that you have just acquired?

My point of view is that it is probably best, and safest, to THROW IT AWAY!

It must be what? At least twenty five years old and if you've acquired it not from new but in an auction then it could, quite simply, be anything!

I think that it is a DANGEROUS and false economy to even consider powders that old and EXTREMELY DANGEROUS to use powder that you have not purchased yourself but "secondhand".

I know it's not what you'd want to hear and very pessimistic but I value my safety more than saving on the cost of two tins of powder.

Also I can't see the sense of working up a load for an obsolete powder for which you then can't find fresh stocks.

Sorry! Dump it! Buy something current that has already load development on the internet.

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I would concur with enfieldspares if the powder was aquired from an unknown source but if it is your own or from a trustworthy source and does not have an acrid smell in the can I would not waste it. Nobels powder was /is real good stuff and produces fine accuracy and velocity in cartridges suiting the differant number Nobels. I have used all of my very old Nobels and others in original cans, some unopened that I have been given by reputable reloaders. All good stuff and a shame to waste by throwing away, but if in doubt do fertilise the lawn.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. The powder is from a reputable source,unopened but old. It is a shame to throw it away but I do agree with Enfieldspares and Eagle27. The sensible thing would be to start again with a current powder. Now what would you recommend? I also would be reloading for 6.5x55,.308 and .375HH. Is there one that does them all? Thanks once again. DogUK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does go against the grain, I know, I've two "secondhand" tins also. One of 2400 and the other Bullseye with an unknown history!

The very last Nobel Manual had reloading info for 375 H & H, 340 Weatherby, 358 Winchester and 350 Remington FWIW but nothing for your caliber.

And, as you agree, by the time you've expended time and effort AND EXPENSIVE BULLETS you've actually got less than one hundred rounds worth of powder left.

And after that it is back to load development all over again!

This Forum, Accurate Reloading, has some info on it. Or try the Reloders Nest website.

I would guess that something like IMR4350 or Hodgdon H4350 would maybe be a "one size fits all" for you calibre selection?

Much depends on the weight of bullet that you have in the 6.5mm and the 308.

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
You could try RL17 or H4895, the latter if you are using heavier bullets for the respective calibre, the former for lighter.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dog(uk)
Where did you source your Norma sp bullet heads? Both of my outlets dont do them.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:
Dog(uk)
Where did you source your Norma sp bullet heads? Both of my outlets dont do them.jc
popcorn coffee

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the Hodgdon range, Varget is the best powder to cover all of those cartridges. Load data is available on the Hodgdon website, and matches that in the current ADI/Thales print load manual [they make it here, and sell it locally as AR2208].

It won't give you top velocity with heavy bullets in the 6.5x55 and .375H&H [down a couple of hundred fps], but it's just about perfect for the .308, with all bullet weights.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gadge, I will try the varget. Im not looking for top hot loads so hopefully it should do the trick.

John, I was given the Norma 9.3 bullets by a friend. They are in a red plastic Norma box with the ref number 69315 on the side. Its 50 per box. I dont know if they are current or not. The box was sealed when i got it, with a price tag still on them of 16 quid. Mark

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Honestly, much of the advice you have been given is very sound, BUT, I would not worry about the old powder being dangerous in cartridges unless you simply overload it to the point of danger.

As powder ages, it gets LESS powerful, not more powerful.

The major danger from old powder is outside of cartridges, in the can or other container. As it ages, it CAN spontaneously combust, causing a fire in the storage site.

I have used many cans of powder from before 1930 and have never had a problem with it in any rifle or pistol.

Of course, you DO want to be sure it is the make and number of powder you THINK it is, so you can determine the amount to use in any given cartridge....

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dog(uk)
Thanks for that,Ive searched (unsuccessfully) for Norma Heads,the factory 100gr in .243 have been working well in my CZ. I worked a load using Hornady Interlock sp which is excellent on paper but they make a real mess through the ribs of Roe and I hate to see the loss of good meat. The Norma retains most of its weight, while the horn almost totaly fragments, like a varmint bullet might. Anyone help a new reloader out with an alternative expanding bullet head that will hold together. (or an outlet for norma heads) bewilderedjc