Find
Notify
Tools

I need something to pick up brass at my range
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Hoping someone has a suggestion for a product that picks up brass at my outdoor range.
I envision something on wheels with some kind of "fingers" that picks up brass and catches it in a "hopper".
Anyone have a line on a product like this?
or another suggestion?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
https://www.botach.com/ammo-up...istol-brass-pick-up/
We have one of these at the Sheriff's range. Works great on Concrete. Never tried it on dirt but I think it would be fine. Probably not so much on gravel.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Small children are good for this, and it teaches them something useful.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14629 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Have you looked at the rolling wheel basket from Caldwell?

https://youtu.be/IUdy040L5aY

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grass rake and shovel with a bucket, some empty the bucket on a strainer of some sort..I just pick them out of the bucket, saves bending over and that's the tough part.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesA broom and long handled dust pan?? tu2roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions.
I'll probably go with Teds suggestion, I think it fits my situation best of anything suggested so far.
Tom, over the years I have dished out plenty of character building chores for my boys, they are bigger now and I find them more useful on larger projects where they can use their strength and skills, but great suggestion.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

Dave's range is mostly sand

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Nut Wizard, Caldwell copied them

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

Dave's range is mostly sand

and grass, with an ocassional weed and cactus thrown in to keep you on your toes...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No shit, but a doggy poop scoop with fingers on the front works great for this.

I couldn't help the really bad pun, but I use one at a range I shoot at. Works very well. I also use it for my dog, but not the same one.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Tom, over the years I have dished out plenty of character building chores for my boys, they are bigger now and I find them more useful on larger projects where they can use their strength and skills, but great suggestion.

I know; grandson like video games and girls now, fortunately my back hasn't given out altogether and I can still gather a little brass now and then. Cheers.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14629 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what caliber brass you are trying to pick up, but for 45acp I have used a pecan picker upper. It is a wire round basket that you just roll along the ground and it picks it right up. Might work for you. Just visit your local farm store.
Phil

Posts: 359 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil good idea.
Our local Farm store won't have it, not a Pecan tree within 500 miles of here.
The brass I want to pick up is varied .223, 7.62x39, .308, .380, 9mm, .45 ACP, 44 mag etc. Anything shot with bolt action doesn't leave the bench it's mostly semi auto and various revolvers dumps at the pistol range I'd like to get.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Thanks Phil good idea.
Our local Farm store won't have it, not a Pecan tree within 500 miles of here.
The brass I want to pick up is varied .223, 7.62x39, .308, .380, 9mm, .45 ACP, 44 mag etc. Anything shot with bolt action doesn't leave the bench it's mostly semi auto and various revolvers dumps at the pistol range I'd like to get.

I'd order one of these off the net. It'd keep the little one busy when he doesn't want to do his school homework.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've used the wire basket type on a cement floor at our indoor range, doesn't work well next to walls. Might as well just use a dust pan and broom. On sand I'd use the dust pan an dump into a sifter like they have for 5 gal buckets or just skip the dust pan and use the sifter directly. Or find a dust pan with slits or holes in it.

Posts: 6491 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
I've used the wire basket type on a cement floor at our indoor range, doesn't work well next to walls. Might as well just use a dust pan and broom. On sand I'd use the dust pan an dump into a sifter like they have for 5 gal buckets or just skip the dust pan and use the sifter directly. Or find a dust pan with slits or holes in it.

tu2 tu2roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Do a google search for a "nut harvester"... you can get them on Amazon, Ace Hardware, Frankford arsenal, and a hose of other places for as little as 25 bucks..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dillon lists them in the Blue Book catalog.
Don't recall the price, seems like $30, maybe less.

With a three place back fusion if a case hits the ground or floor that's just about where it'll stay these days.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
https://www.botach.com/ammo-up...istol-brass-pick-up/
We have one of these at the Sheriff's range. Works great on Concrete. Never tried it on dirt but I think it would be fine. Probably not so much on gravel.

I used to shoot a police range that had those. Great on concrete, pretty good on grass.

I would never buy from Botach.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote