New
Find
Notify
Tools

Faster powders eg IMR 4895 in 6mm rem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The trouble with being allowed to hunt an hour before and an hour after sunrise/set is that the powder that gives best velocity/charge density without fail produces too much muzzle flash.

I have done exactly as I did with my 7x57, developed a load using VVN160 (equivalent to IMR4831)that is perfect on the range but has too much flash for hunting use at dusk.

There is data for VVN140 which is the same burning rate as IMR4895. Anyone tried this with 90gr bullets. Seems a tad fast (max load in region of 39gr) and I have found the various 6mms to be a little prone to temperature/fouling induced pressure excursions.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is available to you , you might try H414 or WW 760 . In loading for a .243 Savage Striker (14 inch barrel) I have found either to give considerable less muzzle blast than comparable burn rate stick powders . Less blast should = reduced flash in the dark . As a plus , either of those powders is nearly ideal for a 90 gr in the 6mm bore .......

[ 11-28-2002, 03:21: Message edited by: sdgunslinger ]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never been concerned with muzzle flash, so I can't speak to that question. I do know that the most accurate powder I've found for my 6mm Remington is IMR 4064. Theoretically, the various 4350s or even the several 4831s should work better in this caliber, especially for the heavier bullets, but it hasn't been so in my rifle.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote