THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    How many neck sizes before full length is required?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many neck sizes before full length is required?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've mostly full length sized everything up until a couple of years ago. I was wondering if there is a ball park figure to expect on the number of times a case can be neck sized before it starts to be a problem to chamber.

Do regular neck size dies vs. Lee Collet dies have any difference in this regard.

Also does cartridge shape and size add still more variable to this?

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Reloader 2: my WSM as well as a lot of others I have spoken to you cannot neck size and get them to chamber. My 22-250 on the other hand, I have about 10 or so reloadings and no problems chambering after neck sizing. I think it depends alot on the gun and pressures.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee Collet Neck Sizer in every caliber and on most reloads I have to push the shoulder back (Redding Body Die) on the 4th loading. In all cases I have neck sized only the 2nd loading. It depends upon your powder load and how close to max you are.

I only reload for one WSM and Earl is right. The straight taper on the case body means you have to resize the body on the 2nd loading.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, it depends on just about everything. I used to be in a mess with Neck sized and Flsized, and having to try every case in the chamber to decide which goes into which pile.

Now most cals get Hot Cores PFLS each time, so all brass get the same treatment, are the same size, same loading die, etc. and anything goes wrong it's all Hot Cores fault. Smiler

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
... and anything goes wrong it's all Hot Cores fault. Smiler
I remember hearing that somewhere before! Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote