New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice for loading 7mm-08
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought my first 7mm-08. It is a Rem 700 SS mountain laminate. I have been reloading for a long time but this will be my first effort on necking down a cartridge to another demension so I'll use Lapua 308 brass to 7mm. Wanted to use the great Lapua brass but don't know exact technique other than just running it into my new redding neck 7mm-08 die?? Please give me details on areas needed to ck for ie ( overall length,amt of neck to be sized down, use FL die or neck die etc.)
thanks and any info appreciated..
Doc Stone

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Just use your full length sizing die. You're just taking the neck down .024". Use a good lube and use as little as possible to avoid denting the shoulder. Lee lube works good as well as STOS. Personally, I'd just use Winchester 7 M/M-08 brass and be done with it.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Masterifleman. I would just use Winchester 7mm08 brass. I have two 7mm08's that I load for & it works just fine.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
too late to consider stock win brass already got the lapuaon the way. I think it will work..
thanks for the advise ,
Doc Stone

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the other guys, you should not have any problem just using your full length sizing die.

The only thing you need to check for is neck wall thickness. The necks will be a little short, as this is to be expected. However, Lapua is generally pretty thick brass and you may have to ream the necks if they are too thick and will not readily release the bullet upon firing.

I recently bought the very same model of rifle and it shoots great for such a thin pencil barrel. I had the best luck with Varget and H 4350 powders.

I messed with necking down 308 brass and found that some brands of 308 brass necked down gave me a different point of impact than Rem or Win 7mm-08 brass.

Good luck with the new rifle.

So long as you only use the Lapua 308 brass this should not be a problem.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
I neck down the Lapua .308 to 7mm-08 also. It is much better quality than the Rem/Win stuff. You will need to check the neck thickness after resizing. I have to turn my necks before they will even fit into the chamber. Lots of extra work but I believe the results are worth it. My groups shrunk nearly 1/2" after switching from Win to Laupa and I have not had to throw away a single piece because of the necks thicking after firing.

My gun likes H4350 with 140 TSX or Varget with 120 grain TSX or BST. Good luck.

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Winchester .308 brass as a parent case to fireform for my 7-08AI. It seems to be more uniform than 7mm-08 brass from either Winchester or Remington. Federal Match .308 brass is better and Lapua would probably be even better than that. I don't have to turn necks to fit in my chamber, but I do anyway (just enough to knock off any high spots). For your first fireform, just use your 7mm-08 full length resizing die, but start long and turn the die down a little at a time until you get a "crush fit" in your chamber and then snug up the locking ring. Your cases will end up a little shorter than they would using regular 7mm-08 brass. After that, trim to the length of your shortest case, and use the neck sizing die, but only size about 2/3 of the neck and watch for runout.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the good info, I will put it to work tonite as I have the 308 lapua brass in hand, can't wait,
Doc Stone