Find
Notify
Tools

9mm Plated Bullets
 Login/Join

Picture of lucy11
posted
Hello,
I was looking on the Berry's web site for 9mm. I see that they sell 9mm "plated" bullets that are (.356) if I'm correct 9mm is (.355). Does it matter? Also, can I or better yet should I crimp a plated bullet. Can anyone tell me their experiences with loading FMJ and Plated?
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Seriously, one thousandth does not make a difference in much of anything, especially a pistol bullet. You can certainly crimp plated bullets as all they are is lead with a very thin layer of copper on them; thus are quite malleable. Yes you can crimp jacketed bullets. Loading plated bullets is no different than loading any lead bullet but you might have shaving problems if you don't inside neck expand enough; unlike jacketed bullets.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ive loaded quiet a bit of plated bullets in 9mm, .45, and .357 the sizing is fine. lead bullets are also normally oversized. iirc berrys recomends using lead bullets recipes for loading the plated bullets.

for the crimp use a lee factory crimp die as the plating is softer than a jacket and more easily cut/deformed than a jacketed bullet.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've loaded thousands of plated bullets in 9 and 40. Lots of Berrys and a ton of rainier. Now since last year I solely compete with rainier. I honestly like Berrys a little better but I get crazy deals with rainier so they are my number 1. I use both dillon and hornady crimp dies. Never had an issue at all with them. Now as stated above if you don't flare the case enough they will shave. Easy fix there. To me they basically load like a fmj more than lead. And I have a load of Berrys in 40 that chrono 1040 fps with no issues. They shoot great!! A tad hot but accurate. Plated rounds prefer to stay 1000fps or under but I've pushed both rainier and Berrys much farther out of curiosity and they do fine at 1200. Most of mine are between 700 and 1000 depending on the caliber and load. Plus I like plated over lead for cleanliness too.

Posts: 2 | Location: West Virginia  | Registered: 21 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when crimping plated bullets use a taper crimp not a roll crimp. The roll crimp will cut through the plating. also since 9mm headspaces on the case mouth, you shouldn't be using a roll crimp anyway

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have loaded and shot 1000s of 9mm and 45acp berrys hbrn with no problems. I load 4.0 - 4.6 gr of bullseye depending on the gun for my 9s @ 1.130 coal, cci primer and just light crimp. they shoot very well.

Jimmy