New
Find
Notify
Tools

200 gr remington core-lokt in 35 whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
has anybody tried the 200gr core-lokt bullets at max whelen speeds on deer? do they hold together or turn into "ballistic tips"? on the other end of the spectrum do the 250 gr hornadys open up on deer?
thanks
jerryw

Posts: 44 | Location: Maine | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the same bullet in my 350 RM, factory ammo. Two chunky Saskatchewan whitetails were clean passthroughs, no breakup no recovery, shots between 20 and 100 yds.
bigbull

Posts: 401 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
There's a very good article in the lastest SCI magazine regarding subject bullet. The author used it with great success on a large black bear in Canada. Bullet penetrated the chest and was recovered all the way in the backside of the animal. Retained weight 80%. Sounds good to me. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
good all around deer level round.. i dont' like them over other bullets, as the SD is rather low.

try sierra gameking 225s

jeffe

Posts: 39682 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I've found this bullet to be a perfect match for Whelen velocities. Fairly accurate with Re15 or H414, and seems to be quite robust. I'd have no problem using it on deer or black bear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No actual hunting experience with the bullet but they are superbly accurate in my 700 Classic.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote