Find
Notify
Tools

Remington LRM Large Rifle Magnum primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted
Reloaded some 450-400 3 1/4" NE the other day and went to the range to have some fun but every third shot was a dud. Firing pin made a deep enough dimple in primer(center) but nothing happened. Changed barrels, same thing. Don't know how old the primers are exactly but can't be more than 6yrs. Was wondering if I am the only person with this issue or if there are others. Am going to keep them as back ups but only use as a last resort and very sparingly.

Thanks

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

Posts: 172 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You ar an exceedingly unlucky guy. Try them in another rifle just to make sure...
I consider 6 year old primers to be brand new. And in Alaska, they should have been cool these years; did you store them next to your stove?

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I had a similar problem with CCI primers. I can't remember exactly what the dimple looked like, but I seem to recall that they were well-dimpled and I'm pretty sure I hadn't seated the primers deeply enough.

Embarrassing for someone who'd been loading on and off for 35 years.

In any event, I've never, ever, had an issue with primers that were seated properly, and some of them were at least 10 years old.

I also never had any problem when, as a kid, I practiced with one of those old, $12, 7.35mm Terni Carcano carbines. The ammo for that rifle was admittedly corrosive (I learned the hard way), but they were at least 20 years old.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted Hide Post
No not near the fire, under my pillow but only at night.
The primers I'm almost sure were seated properly. I've been reloading for over 40 years and this is the first time I can remember this happening more than once in a slab of a 100.
Only loaded 20 rounds with CCI will try those next.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

Posts: 172 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using this primer only for decades and I'm using primers I bought in the 80-90 and have never had a single mix fire..I still have thousands to go and it's not something that ever enters my mind..

one of us
posted Hide Post
funny just had the same thing happen 3 days ago with some Rem large pistol primers. They are only 7 or years old

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the firing pin dimple appears adequate (and it usually takes much less than people think), then the lot of primers is probably defective. Defective primers are very few and far between in my experience, but it can happen.

By the way, I think my newest primers are about 3 years old, but I hardly ever use components that are not much better "seasoned". I still have some which were mail-ordered to beat the implementation of the Gun Control Act of 1968, and they go "bang" each and every time.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was recently doing some load development for my son's .308 Win. And, had a very similar occurrence(only once though). When pulling the bullet(Barnes TTSX's are expensive), I found that someone(me) failed to put powder in the case. Pretty embarrassing for someone whose being handloading for 49 years!!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think humidity is a primer killer, but Ive never had primer problems..During the last primer drought I use my supply of about 40 year old CCI primers and all worked fine..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote