New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midway dog town bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone shot them? How do they shoot? Does anyone know who makes them for midway?
The price is right .I thought I would try them in my AR. Just looking for some opinions before I order some. Thanks

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They shoot good enough for coyotes and other varmints.
If you have a quick twist barrel they might blow to pieces.But they do work.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornHave had better results with Mid South- Varmint Nite Mares. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot about about midsouth (long story) I checked out their bullets and will order some. I jumped the gun and ordered 100 midway bullets
1-9 twist they should hold up.Thank you.

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway's or Mid South's seem they come from the same source in my opinion after looking at them side by side..

of course if you are using them out of an AR, either one is plenty good..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great for plinking and up close shooting, also great for fireforming wildcats.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I shoot both the Midway and Midsouth bullets out of my 204 Ruger. Very effective, cheap bullet for prairie dogs.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Midway's or Mid South's seem they come from the same source in my opinion after looking at them side by side..

shocker If they do , John , I'd be surprised as I have tested both. Neither is terrible but the Mid South's performed better. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
I shoot dog towns in my 223 weatherby, it's the only bullet i've foung that stubborn weatherby likes, for the price it's a good bullet.

Load em up shoot em up.

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've not shot any Dog town bullets but can remember some good reports about them. If I'm loading for Pdog shooting, I use the least expensive bulk bullet I can find. (No FMJs)
Remember you're looking for minute of Pdog.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are made by Nosler, in Australia they are known as Nosler SHOTS and are very popular.

Posts: 45 | Location: Sydney,Australia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:

shocker If they do , John , I'd be surprised as I have tested both. Neither is terrible but the south West's performed better. beerroger

Roger,

I have noticed the same thing when it comes to accuracy. My conclusion was that Mid Souths are either surplus or overruns from the manufacturer... and Midway's were the ones that were rejected by Mid South...

so when Mid Souths are out of stock... the Midways are an acceptable substitute.

as Beeman points out so well... they only have to be minute of prairie dog. and since 90% of all the ones I have ever shot were under 200 yds...that isn't that crucial.

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I just bought a box of the Midway 55gr .243 and they are acceptable for closer ranges and plinking. I've not tried the Mid South bullets, but probably will after reading this thread. For the price, they'd be hard to beat for close range shooting.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesAlthough it may not function well in your AR, I've gotten a lot of pleasure shooting the 34gr. hp Varmint Nite Mare bullets From Mid South. I've still got about 4000 for which I paid less than a nickel a piece. beerroger

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I tried some of the first Dog Town bullets from Midway in 22 cal...I couldn't get the out-of-the-box accuracy I wanted but they did stay around 3/4". I weight and ogive sorted 25 and got down to >0.400" which was twice the Hornady Vmax "normal" distribution, but they WERE cheaper and did OK on sage rats and ground squirrels.

I haven't tried any since, but I might try some of the 20 cal now that I finished my 20 Practical.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the answers. they should be here wed. I'll load some with 748 and bl-c2 and let you know how they do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to the range today,about 30 degrees and the wind was howling.I loaded these up with h-335,748,varget and bl-c2. Varget and bl-c2 were no good. The top target is 55 gr hp dog town 26 gr H-335 wsr and crimped with a lee crimp die
The bottom target is 26 gr 748, wsr and also crimped. I dont know how to properly measure a group but measuring the widest spot the top target is 0.553.These are out of a 1-9 twist AR