New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Barnes Triple Shocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Barnes says you can probably increase the powder charge over the regular barnes loads, but do so at your own risk and if that makes you uncomfortable then just use the book max in the barnes manual....

I see little advantage in adding a couple of grains of powder so I have loaded my 375 and 416 with my tried and true powder charges...velocity tends to work on bullet integrity anyway, even on monolithics...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, Blasphemy, fire and brimstone! I can't believe my eyes! Ray using a regular powder spoon? Not extra large?!? I am confused. I will have to go under a tree and rethink all my previous notions of the world and all that is in it. GOOD HUNTING. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the "TSX" my understanding is that Barnes suggest using the regular "X" bullet loading information, starting a minimum and working up your load. Barnes advises that due to the "TSX" design (the three rings) pressure may be less than "X" bullet and their testing seems to prove this out. It may be possible to increase the powder charge for the TSX over the regular X bullet load, however, you should start with minimum regular "X" load information.

What I have found is the TSX is an extremely accurate bullet. In the rifles I reload for the TSX has provide the best accuracy. Additionally, I have found the TSX fouling to be less of a problem than the "X" bullet. In fact the TSX fouls less than some other conventional designs.

So what are the advantages of the TSX? Improved accuracy, less fouling, and reduced pressure. Most likely you can improve velocity over the "X", however, that is not the most significant benefit of the TSX!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My question to this would be, will the TSX's expand better than the older X's at really high velocities? Say a .338 between 3200-3500 fps.?

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Dunno that one. They expand quite nicely at typical .338 Win Mag velocities (probably about 2800 or so) from 70 to 300 yards. That works for me.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not kown the ansewer to that question. You may want to e-mail or call Barnes. Ty at Barnes is very helpful and usually respond very quickly to inquiries...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Ty Herring at Barnes regarding expansion. He stated that with the new Triple Shock they made some changes to the hollow point. It worked so well that they use the new design on all barnes bullets now.

Testing showed full expansion after only 1" of penetration in test medium.