THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted Reduced plinking loads for 444 Marlin.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,I am looking for some low power 444 loads for 240 Gr.SWC.Can`t seem to find any in the books I have.I am not worried about them being pinpoint accurate.Thanks in advance!!!OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually Ol'B...

you can find some pretty accurate loads...

Check out load data for cast bullets.. Lyman's manual has a lot of them..

I shoot a 444 and I use downloads for it exclusively... the bullets in it are not that aerodynamic... so you can cut down the MV by 3 to 400 fps, and give up about 15 to 20 yds of point blank range.. and reduce recoil by 40 t0o 50 % or more...

I use Blue Dot and SR 4759 powder in my 444 loads...

however, another secret I can give you that will work very well also... take any data from a reload manual for a 44 Rem Mag in a rifle.. and load it in the 444 case... it will produce pretty much the same velocities with a lot less pressure...all the ones that I have used and chronographed gave me what it said the 44 mag load would give...

those and Hornady's XTP bullets.. lower velocity won't decrease terminal performance one bit! it still will easily cut a 5 or 6 inch diameter sapling in half with one shot..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kewl. Thats what I was looking for!!!!!Thanks for the help.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OLBIKER, you might try loking at beartoothbullets.com. They have a lot of 444 Marlin loads and info for the cast bullet shooter. From light loads to real heavy bullet loads.

Let me know what you think.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen, Awesome Bullets.I have read good things about them in Handloader magazine.The first time I visited their site.Thanks for the Tip thumb

posted Hide Post
Hi,

For reduced loads you need to check out:

www.gmdr.com

under levergun studies.

I shoot a 45/70 reduced load with n320 and it is super consistent and fun to shoot.

Good Luck,

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan, What a nice site.I am going to load some up and will post the rsults. Thanks,OB