Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts Loads and Set Up
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello folks,

I have a rifle in .257 Roberts coming and I'm going to start reloading for it as ammo is not that common for it over here.

So, with that in mind I'd like some advice and loads for the venerable "Bob" out of a 24" barrel and a +P capable action.

Also, as I'm going to start reloading, it would be good to get people's advice on poweders that might also work for 7x64 and 9.3x62 which I currently factory feed.

KR,

Scrummy

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as a bit more info, I'd ideally like two loads for the Bob:

1) ~75gr varmint load moving fast and flat (probably ballistic tipped)

2) 110-120 gr deer load (probably soft point) which if can duplicate Hornady's Superperformance load, that would be awesome

KR,

Scrummy

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varget, Imr 4064, Imr 4895, RL 15 for the lighter bullet( s)
RL 17, H 4350 for the heavier bullets

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You can't do anything until you get the rifle and measure the throat depth; they vary a lot. then you can see how far out you can seat bullets, and use that powder space. I have one that has a very long throat and I easily get 25-06 velocities, and more. Using 4320 and 4350, for 100 and 120 grainers, respectively. Factory level loads and ammo lengths are obsolete, and always were, actually. That is what killed the great 257.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it will have a nice long throat so the 120s should be no problem Wink

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You can't do anything until you get the rifle and measure the throat depth; they vary a lot. then you can see how far out you can seat bullets, and use that powder space. I have one that has a very long throat and I easily get 25-06 velocities, and more. Using 4320 and 4350, for 100 and 120 grainers, respectively. Factory level loads and ammo lengths are obsolete, and always were, actually. That is what killed the great 257.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scrum
You need to start looking for .257 cases or 7X57 cases to form because they are non-existent in the US right now.

You might pick some of the shorter 120s if you plan to shoot those. I have always had much better accuracy out of 100 grain bullets. Most modern cup and core jacketed bullets are manufactured for 25-06 velocities and will penetrate well without the extra weight.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scrum,
Or you could take my approach and just buy factory loaded ammo for the brass.
I have a "Bob" being built (currently into the 13 month of a 6 to 9 month promised time) and I have searched for the past year for brass-no luck at all.
Once I use the factory stuff to break in and sight in I will most likely just use 115 gr Bergers or 117 gr. Hornady InterLocks.
I have enough other guns to fill in the varmint and larger game species so this one will be just a fun gun for the whitetail pests that inhabit the surrounding fields.
Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gab, that's my thought. Probably see if I can get some of that Hornady Superformance and reload those. Any other thoughts?

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Scrummy,
Congrats on getting a .257 Roberts. A great choice of caliber. I've owned maybe a dozen over the last 50+ years-got my first one when I was 14.
I have had good luck in getting all to shoot well except one, am early 1982 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight.
The problem is that most were easy to get shooting well with several powders, although some preferred light bullets and some heavy bullets. Only my two Ruger 77's with the medium weight 24" barrels shot all weights to my satisfaction.
I don't know what powders are available in Switzerland. With the lighter bullets, 75 grainers you said, I like IMR4064. Also I have had good luck using N201. It is slightly slower burning than IMR3031 and I was able to get slightly higher velocity with N201.
For the heavy weight bullets you plan to use, you might consider using N204. For some reason, I imagine the Norma powders might be more available in your country.
I have also had good luck with heavy bullets using any of the 4350's, N204 or MRP, IMR4831, RL22, and the now discontinued Winchester WMR and WXR. I have some RL17 but haven't yet loaded any .257's with it nor have I used RL19. It has also been reported the Hodgdon's H1000V works well but I have no experience with it.
So far, not exactly a focused set of opinions on powders, is it? So let's say I recommend you start with N201 and N204 and see what happens.
Good luck and again, the .257 Roberts is great choice of caliber.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
110 Accubonds have done a great job in my daughter's .257 Bob!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Scummy,
You have a PM.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
For the Bob I like the following:

100gr. Sierra GK over 47.0 gr. of H4350
117gr. Sierra GK over 44.0 gr. of H4350

Both have proven to be amazingly accurate in my Rem M7MS .257 Bob.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go-to powder for 100 gr. bullets is IMR 4350. I don't try to push the velocity envelope. 2900 fps in my Douglas featherweight barrel is very accurate, and a fine killer up to 300 yds. I don't know whether H414/WW760 is available over there, but I've had good luck with it, also, and get an extra 100 fps.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info folks, keep it coming.

Sorry for my slow reply, been in the Czech Republic hunting Mouflon.

KR,

Scrummy

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I have had really good results with IMR 4350 and bullets from 100-120 gns. I see no need for "premium" bullets for deer. Extra trigger time is good "insurance" too. And a lot of trigger time is something that the Bob is very good for..

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Remington 700 Classic in 257 Roberts. I've found it to be accepting of just about any bullet I choose with the exception being the old Barnes X bullet. The 4350 powders work well but my go to load with the 117 Sierra bullets has been IMR 4064.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What species are you going to hunt?
Similar powders as for 6,5*57 should work.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote