Find
Notify
Tools

light bullets in fast twist barrel?
 Login/Join

<dcjs>
posted
hi there,
has anyone tried to shoot the very light 6mm bullets (55&58gr) out of a 8" twist barrel?
I do know this is nowhere near optimum, the barrel/caliber is normally set up for stabilizing 105/107gr VLD's @2800fps, but I'd also like to be able to shoot those very lightweight bullets.
I know that 70gr bullets do work quite well in this setup, but what about 55grs?
anyone trioed this in the real world?

thanks for your replies

david

<DuaneinND>
posted
The only way to know is to shoot and see. Each and every barrel made is an individual and what works in one might not in another from the same maker. You will probably find that as you start approaching higher velocities that some of the bullets will not make it downrange due to bullet destroying rpm.

<dcjs>
posted
no more input?
pleeeeease

<eldeguello>
posted
The pundits will tell you that these light balls will be "way overstabilized", but unless there is a very significant reduction in accuracy, no-one can really tell you what this means. It is conceivable that the very high RPM involved could cause bullets of inadequate construction to disintegrate, just like happened in the early days of such rounds as the .220 Swift. But, you won't know about either accuracy or other potential problems until you shoot some of these bullets and see what happens!! Why not try it?