Find
Notify
Tools

475 Linbaugh / 480 Ruger die question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted
Might I ask a favor of any of you out there who load for the big Linebaugh or Ruger revolver cartridges; namely, what is the sizing die diameter, or the exterior diameter of a sized, unexpanded case?

What I am looking for is a die that I can neck size various old .45 cal black powder express cartridges that won't overwork their expensive brass so much. For instance, the RCBS dies for .500/.450 No.1 2-3/4" Black Powder Express that I have will reduce the fired case neck diameter so much as to almost hold a .440" bullet. Doing that and then opening them back up to easily seat a .460" paper-patch bullet is positively criminal considering the $5 apiece for cases. A neck size die that would give my brass an outside neck diameter of about .485" would be perfect.

There are a couple of other rifle cartridges that have a head diameter near the right size for use as neck sizers for the BP oldies, but that poses its own set of problems.

If you could post a measurement of die or sized case for either the .475 Linebaugh or .480 Ruger, I'd really appreciate it.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady die = 0.497

Hornady case = 0.499

Looks to be a bit too large for your needs.

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Many thanks, Troutcreeks, just the info I was looking for! Looks like I'll keep looking...

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Why not use a bushing neck sizing die? You can get bushings in 0.001" increments so exactly the size you are looking for.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote