New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE 6.5 CREEDMOOR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
how long do you think the creedmoor will be around. or is it just another flyby round like the .260 rem.. I do own a .260 rem. and like it very much, I am interested in owning a CREEDMOOR.

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Technically it may be superior to the 260 but I wonder if the Creedmoor isn't too little too late considering the head starts enjoyed by the 260 and 6.5x47 Lapua...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Especially considering the reviews the first batch of brass got.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
Especially considering the reviews the first batch of brass got.
Tell us more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are all the reviews of the brass from midwayusa.com. The two earlier reviews were very critical of the softness of the brass. I've seen something else on this but can't lay my fingers on it at the moment:

Read Product Reviews
Reviews displayed for:
Average Customer Rating:

3 rating from 4 reviews

Paul King of Cherryville, NC
Rating:

Date Posted: 10/29/2008
Review:
Worked just fine when run through my DPMS when loaded to load data on Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor box.
Was this review helpful? Yes | No
10 found it helpful | 5 did not
Ralph Crosswhite of Kingman, Az
Rating:

Date Posted: 9/9/2009
Review:
Have started using this in a Ruger77MKII VT with a 28" match barrel. No problems extracting, or chambering. No problems with primers at this point. With the suggested load of H4350 using both Berger 140 VLD's and Sierra 140 MKS groups hold at .125 - .20 in at 100 yds, 3 rnd groups - in the case of the Sierras a ragged one hole group. Will test for longevity of cases.
6 found it helpful | 0 did not
Randy Mason of Springhill, LA
Rating:

Date Posted: 10/29/2008
Review:
I've loaded some of the brass five or six times. It seems to be real soft. I have to trim after two to three firings. Near max loads and the primer pocket will get loose.
19 found it helpful | 1 did not
Jay Moyer of Montrose, CO
Rating:

Date Posted: 12/7/2008
Review:
I've been using this brass in my DPMS LR-6.5 and the primer pockets are leaking on the first firing. This is with the factory Hornady ammunition, hand loads identical to the factory stuff and hand loads with a reduced powder charge. I really wish this brass lasted a little longer.
15 found it helpful | 2 did not

Note: The views expressed above are those of each review author. They do not necessarily reflect the position of MidwayUSA.

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I don't see it doing anything that the 260 can't do. When it first came out I though, "why"? Just get teh 260, brass can be made easily from 243 or 7-08 or even 308.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
These are all the reviews of the brass from midwayusa.com. The two earlier reviews were very critical of the softness of the brass.
Thanks. Seems Hornady sometimes has trouble getting the kinks out. The late Slingster had big trouble with misdimensioned 376 Steyr brass when it first came out - case heads separated on the first firing. Steve Hornady made it right of course. Hornady is the innovation leader these days so maybe a stumble or two is the price of progress.