Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 hornet and pistol primers
 Login/Join

posted
I have come across 1000 federal small pistol primers and I was wondering if they can be used in conjunction with H110 or vit N110 safely in a rifle, and if so i would be using 40 gr V-Max all info or load data is greatfully appreciated, many thank in advance.
Bob

one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
For years many have advocated that more accurate Hornet loads can be brewed up using Small Pistol Primers rather than small rifle primers. The logic given is that the small rifle primers are too hot causing the bullet to start moving prior to the complete ignition of the small charge. I am not certain I buy that but I can report good results when I switched to the small pistol primers. I have been using H110 and Small Pistol primers with Hornady's 45g SP with great results.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use small pistol primers in my hornet loads and they work great for me

Posts: 64 | Location: Utah | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I myself have used Remington 1 1/2 pistol primers exclusively in my hornet for years, and this includes using far heavier than manual listed loads of 296. I get an occasional leak around the pocket on the third or fourth reload but thats the case, not the primer. Speer's supplemental reloading data from www.speer-bullets.com says, " While working with this new bullet, we verified that the 22 Hornet is better when loaded with standard small pistol primers(CCI 500). We were able to safely attain higher velocity and better shot-to-shot variation than possible with small rifle primers in this tiny case." They were putting out data for the new 33 tnt when they wrote what is quoted. ned

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I believe Remington made a special primer that was used in only the .22 Hornet and .30 carbine. Don't remember the number but think it was 6 1/2.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 loadings for .22 Hornet. Both are using 45 grain bullets:
9.7 grains of 2400.
4.1 grains of UNIQUE. [25 Yard city load.]
The 4.1 grain load requires Small Pistol primers to get consistant ignition

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys, now I know they are ok to use could you kind poeple help me with some load data for the Hornet using H110 or Vhit N110
and pistol primers.
many thanks Bobbd

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is only one powder for the Hornet-LilGun.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What Dan said - rem 6 1/2 primers, and what Pete said - LilGun. I use Vit powders for every other load, but I have had to make an exception in the case of the Hornet.

Patrick

posted Hide Post
I was hoping for a guide to how much powder you guys use with 40 gr and 35 gr bullets many thanks, Bob

posted Hide Post
...well... LilGun is a good powder... the best for top speeds in the hornet... but... a VERY close second is AA1680.... it won't give you the TOP speeds, but it is very consistent, and in my opinion is second to LilGun only in velocities.
...also, I have seen slightly greater shot to shot variations with LilGun...but that could have been just that particular load..
I have used with great success the Rem 6 1/2 primer, and Winchester small pistol primers. I do notice cratering and occasional piercing of the primers with the warmer loads.... for my top speed loads (in the K-Hornet) I use CCI small rifle primers... everything else uses either the small pistol, or the 6 1/2...

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
in the K-Hornet, using 40gr bullets, right around 13.0gr is sort of the standard.... just tweak it back and forth to find your particular sweet spot...

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used Lil'gun, and it may be a fine powder, but I think that striving for highest velocities with the Hornet is counter to the entire concept of the cartridge. If I wanted more velocity, I'd use a .222 or .223 -- or a .220 Swift, for that matter. In my Hornet, I want nice, accurate, mild mannered loads. And I want a clean burning powder that doesn't require compressing.

By the way, I've tried pistol primers in my gun and haven't found any advantage in them. But hey, this is just one gun and a lot of people have reported marked improvement by using the pistol primer in their Hornets. Pistol primers are usually a bit softer (or have thinner cups) than rifle primers, but this isn't a bad thing in that you can detect undesireable pressures more easily. So, if you have some pistol primers on hand, by all means use them and count yourself lucky if they give you a pierced firing pin hole when a rifle primer wouldn't -- it might save you a more unpleasant experience.

My gun is a K-Hornet, so my experience is not necessily directly applicable to the standard Hornet, but I like old-fashioned IMR-4227 and "Hercules" 2400 for consistent performance and accuracy, and all of the velocity I want.

If you want your Hornet to go faster, though, by all means try some of the new-generation powders. You'll get no flak from me.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

Lilgun is not just about top velocity, though that is an excellent benefit, the PSI is about 10-13,000PSI lower with Lilgun than most other powders, running around 32,000 with a 45gr bullet and 13gr Lilgun. Anymore, I only use small pistol primers in my Hornet.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll 2nd K-hornet used to use H4227 but no more lilgun is more consistant I use 13 gr and a 40gr Vmax

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, okay, I give: Smiler Lil'gun is sliced bread, flush toilets, and sex all rolled into one; you just can't do any better.

My problem is that if my gun did BETTER than it does with 4227, it would be no fun and no challenge to see if you could perforate pennies taped to the target backer without touching the edge; Lil'gun would just do it every time, and that would be a bore.

I'm willing to believe tha Lil'gun is all you guys say it is, and I'm going to get some just as soon as my last four pounds of 4227 and 2400 are gone. Let's see, at 580-ish loads per pound, that will only be about 2300 rounds away, and if I shoot 200 rounds per year, it will only be about 11 years before I'm ready for some of that magic powder. Just hope they're still makin' it by then. thumb

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
..... hey, Stonecreek... it'll give you whiter teeth, too!!

..... the reason I LOVE the K-Hornet/Hornet cartridges is simply versatility.... I can load it down to 22short levels, (or lower)... or I can begin to push the lower level 222 loads. All of this can be done using no more than 13gr of powder...
.... it kills coyotes very well at 50yds... probably further, but I haven't done it yet.. it absolutely SMACKS jackrabbits... out to at least 150yds...
.... tears up horse apples, too.....

the lower pressure is true... according to the manuals, it's consistently lower than anything else...

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't fit too much Lil'Gun into a Hornet case. I like 12.5 to 13.2 grains of Lil'Gun, a Federal #100 small pistol primer, and 40 grain V-Maxes or Berger 22/40MEF's, seated about .020 off the lands.
Regards, George thumb

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scout Master 54:
For years many have advocated that more accurate Hornet loads can be brewed up using Small Pistol Primers rather than small rifle primers. The logic given is that the small rifle primers are too hot causing the bullet to start moving prior to the complete ignition of the small charge. I am not certain I buy that but I can report good results when I switched to the small pistol primers. I have been using H110 and Small Pistol primers with Hornady's 45g SP with great results.

Scout Master 54
Scout Master and anyone else, do you use the same powder ranges quoted for the hornet using small rifle primers and use it for small pistol primers, i have no data for loads using small pistol and just want to keep it SAFE.
Many Thanks Bob