Find
Notify
Tools

The Good Ole Days--1941 Receipt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
I thought some would get a kick out of this receipt I have. I did have the actual rifle that accompanied the receipt, but it was drilled and not collectible so I sold the rifle. I know in 1941 $77 WAS a lot of money, but it's still fun to compare to today. A guy could easily spend that much on a premium box of bullets but back then, well you could buy a very nice rifle and have money left over for reloading stuff.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just out of curosity, how much money did you make a week in July 1941?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When in 1981, I was moaning about the cost of my first rifle,a M-700 BDL 30-06,one of my fellow workers said" That's not bad,it's only a weeks wages,mine when I bought it cost three weeks wages" His was a plain Browning Hi-Power,though.

You can hunt longer with the wind at your back

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also out of curiosity, what did you pay for a gallon of gas back then?

one of us
posted Hide Post
According to the inflation calculator at http://www.hughchou.org/calc/cpi.cgi , that 1941 price of $77.02 is equivalent to $1,011.64 in 2004 dollars (2006 unavailable, but should add approximately 5%, or about $1,062).

I would say that makes today's prices a relative bargain. The bullets, at $2.31, are the equivalent of $30 now, but can commonly be had for half of that. The powder is about spot-on with today's cost, and the primers are a tad cheaper today.

Sometimes we just don't appreciate how good we've got it.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biglmbass:
Also out of curiosity, what did you pay for a gallon of gas back then?

"Two bits a pint, a can of gasoline and water;
The village blacksmith owns the village now."

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote