New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't figure this out!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted a few days ago about a new gun I got recently. It's a Howa 223 HB. I have started testing it with some different loads. Today after firing 3 and waiting for the barrel to cool some I picked up a loaded round and wanted to see how loose the bullet would be if I stuck it in a fired case. It wouldn't go in, the fired shell was tight enough to hold a bullet just fine.
I measured the case wall thickness and they are fine .011. Overall is fine.
Can the chamber be that tight? They chamber easy, and it's really shooting nice, no pressure signs. It's a minimum starting load.
Anyone ever run into this?
Thanks in advance,
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it's a tight chamber, can happen when using a slightly worn reamer that doesn't open the chamber all the way. As long as there is no feeding or extraction problems the tight neck actually works for you.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it could be a tight chamber neck.
Some benchrest rifles actually have a chamber neck so minimum that the case neck will "bounce" back to original size.

But you sure the fired case is not dented in the mouth area?

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You've got what everyone wishes they had in a factory chamber -- one that actually fits the round. I've seen .270's that you could drop a .284 bullet into after firing. How much could that promote accuracy?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
stronics:

This is not related to your question regarding case neck diameter, but relates to your rifle. I am considering the purchase of a .223 HOWA. I've heard some good things about them. You said that yours shoots well. Could you be more specific about perfromance? Anyone else have experience with the HOWA .223. I think it may be a good buy for around $350.00 new.

cwilson

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C Wilson,
The Howa metal work seems to be great, the gun is not bedded though it's just in the stock. You have to bed it, mine was 1/8" from the recoil lug and touching on the rear tang area. I've glassed it.
I've shot it about 50 shots now, several different loads and bullets. They all were less that 5/8" and the load I settled on is IMR 4895 26.0 grains and the Sierra Blitz 50gr. Three 5 shot groups were right at 3/8".
The barrel is getting smooth, I've learned it has a long chamber. Overall max is .030 over recommended trim length. Recommended trim length is 1.750" my chamber length is 1.780" and it has a tight chamber.
David

<eldeguello>
posted
It indeed sounds like you have a tight chamber throat, which as pointed out could be good for accuracy. However, it could also be too tight, and fail to permit a bullet to be released by the case, creating pressure spikes. Not too long ago, I tested a friend's "proprietary" .300 Magnum, which displayed this problem Less than maximum loads blew primers, and we found that a bullet would not drop freely into a fired case. After removing .0015" from the neck wall, the problem disappeared with the same powder charges that had previously ruined cases!!

<green 788>
posted
I have a pre 64 Winchester in .270 win. I noticed the same situation you have with a particular lot of brass. I went to another make of case, and the bullets then slipped in. You have a tight necked chamber--a good thing in my opinion.

Try going to another type of brass and see how things go. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing you're using Remington cases. I don't like Remington .223's, due to neck inconsistencies (runout problems).

If you aren't already trying them, get some Winchester cases. In your particular situation, I wouldn't use nickel plated cases. The Winchester "varmint packs" of 40 shots of .223 (45 grain bullets) are a good source of decent .223 cases, and the performance of this low buck ammo may please you.

I haven't been able to beat Varget in the .223 for powder, and the Federal 205 primer has given me the most consistent results.

As mentioned on other threads here, don't try to seat long to approach the lands. Seat deep, you'll shoot tighter. With 40 grainers, try a 2.225 OAL, and with 50 grainers, try 2.235 to 2.240.

27.5 grains of Varget works well with the 40 grain bullets, and around 27 works well with the 50's. These are compressed loads, but fire into 1/4 MOA groups with ease and persistence in an H&R Ultra Varmint I own.

It sounds like you have a very nice rifle.

green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
Green 788 I'm using FC cases. I'm thinking their Federals. I am watching it close, I've never had such a tigh chamber.
David

<eldeguello>
posted
Stronics, FC cases are probably made by Federal, but if they are MILITARY FC cases, they are probably thicker than Federal commercial brass. Military specs call for heavier brass due to being used in automatic weapons.

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
I've run into this in my two 416 Rigbys-both Rugers. Both have to be neck reamed after the first shooting with Norma brass. Also, my 7mm STW (a Remington) has to be reamed when using formed brass from 8mm Rem. It's just one of those things where it can be tight chambers, thick brass, or both, but the necks have to be opened up so they can turn loose of the bullet. Inside neck reaming or outside neck turning is the only way to keep from running into pressure problems on your next loadings.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote