Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Identify Unuaual Handgun Cartridge
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone. I am new to the list, but not new to reloading. Recently while scrounging through the used brass bin at American Shooting Center to find different cases to make a cartridge board for our 4-H shooting club, I came across a handgun case which I cannot identify. It has WESTERN, then the caliber 41 L.D.A. on the head stamp. The case is rimmed, and is about 5/32 inches shorter than a 41 Rem Mag case. The brass appears to be a little bit thinner than the 41 RM.

I tend to think it is one of the old 41 Long Colts, but cannot find info on those to compare. Can anyone help? Thanks, Jim Haynes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim

It is a 41 Long Double Action. Meant to be fired in the Colt 41 caliber Thunderer, (or any other 41 revolver so chambered.) Not particularly rare but a good find none-the-less.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much, Ray. I knew that there was someone on this Forum who could identify it. I found it to be odd that there would be a period stamped after each letter, "L", "D", "A". I have never seen periods after abbreviations on headstamps. Again, thanks. Jim Haynes