New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 7x57 brass question
 Login/Join

<eldeguello>
posted
Actually, the specs for the 7X57mm case head vary somewhat from the standard ".30/'06" (RCBS No. 3) dimensions. It seems to me that U.S. and Norma 7X57mm brass is made to the same specs as the .30/'06/.270 head, so this stuff fits into the No.3, but some others, mainly European, do not fit. I guess Sellier & Bellot 7X57mm brass falls into this category.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes excellent, sometimes needs more work, sometimes no good at all.

a) 7.62x25 S&B brass is stronger than Starline brass.

b) 7.62x54R S&B brass has the wrong radius at the bottom of the primer pocket and will not take American primers. I fixed this with a Lyman pocker uniformer, but now I use Lapua brass.

c) 12 ga S&B hulls have the wrong diameter and will not take American shotgun primers.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Yes, S&B brass is crap -I've never used ANY other brass that was as consistently poor in numerous ways. I'd throw it away and start fresh with some WW. I'd normally recommend Norma, but I've had quite a rash of problems with them lately including overly-deep primer pockets and split case necks.

<9.3x62>
posted
Quote:

S&B is excellent brass.

Good one Ed, surely you're joking!?

BTW, I've never had problems with Norma (or Lapua) brass fitting the RCBS #3. How is the wrong shellholder (overly wide) suppose to reduce the chances of rim damage?