New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Please help me with a 742.. Help.Help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hivelosity I am loading them one at a time strictly into the barrel. Am not crimping them. I have been using Rem bulk psp bullets.I have let it cool after three rounds.I have always had good results from the rem bullets. What load would you reccomend?

Posts: 43 | Location: redwater, tes | Registered: 08 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
cynrays,

742s are notorious for the barrels becoming loose. Take it to a gun smith that really knows the model and have him check it out.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both of the scopes are good. I took them off two other rifles that were shooting great.
I am using a Weaver single piece base. They are properly mounted.
Up until this time I had always shot the 243 with open sights. It may not have been that accurate in the first place. It never failed within 100 yards...

Posts: 43 | Location: redwater, tes | Registered: 08 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
welcome

what load developement have you done? may need a faster hotter load for that bullet?

I have had better results with imr 4350 100gr nosler bt.loaded near max

Are you loading single shot or out of the maq?

Are you crimping the bullets? if not the oal may be changing if you are loading from the magazine.

I would only shoot 2 or 3 shot groups and let it cool good between rounds.

mine shoots 1 to 1 1/2" groups

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I will try the magazine box next. I am shooting from a bench rest with a sandbag under the forearm and one under the magazine box. That way I can get all of the recoil(LOL).

I didn't get to work with it today. I had to bushhog my son's five acres.

You can run in to a whole lot of that when you are retired.

Thanks for you guy's input.Any more suggestgions please feel free to reply...

I would not rest the rifle on the magazine box. Rest the front on the forearm, infront of the swivel swing stud (if possible) and the rear on the stock in front of the swivel swing stud. If either studs hit while recoiling it will affect the groups. I have never had any luck shooting Remington power point bullets in any of my rifles, using reloaded or factory ammo. They will harvest game but don�t group very well. Try federal premiums or another brand of quality factory loaded ammo. If you reload try the sierra game king bullets the group well in my 300WM.

Best of luck resolving your problem.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Is it possible the nature of the 742? Help

Yes, I think it is. I had one many years ago (30-06) that wouldn't hit the broad side of a very wide barn 2 times straight. Traded it off for a camera and never looked back.

Then again my cousin has one that he''s used for Deer hunting many years and he's sure put a lot of meat in his freezer.

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 742 remington 243 that I have always shot with open sights and have killed quite a few deer. My problem is. I mounted two different scopes on it and loaded 100 grain soft points with 34.5 grains of IMR4895. I can not get this rifle to group at all. I mounted a new scope on it and with the same results.Sometimes it will shoot high, sometimes low and sometimes all over the target with about a ten inch spread at 100 yards. I am about to pull my hair out, but before I do,can some of you please help me.I have always taken good care of this rifle. Is it possible the nature of the 742? Help

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really don't think that it is the jerk behind the rifle. I almost set a post record in the army at Fort Polk in the early sixties using the M 14. I experted on the M1, 45, and the M1 Carbine.
This thing has me baffled tho. I will try something else tomorrow and then if I can't work it out,I will use it with open sights on hogs and snakes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will try the magazine box next. I am shooting from a bench rest with a sandbag under the forearm and one under the magazine box. That way I can get all of the recoil(LOL).
I didn't get to work with it today. I had to bushhog my son's five acres.
You can run in to a whole lot of that when you are retired.
Thanks for you guy's input.Any more suggestgions please feel free to reply...

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
couple other things you might consider, try some factory ammo and see what you get, also consider crimping for a better ignition of the powder,it would help to keep the pressure constant. try shooting from the mag box and see if after the firt round that the gun will start to group.

how are you resting the gun on the fore are or on the barrel?

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My bet would be your Weaver style base. Make sure it's designed for the 742. Also, make sure the base screws are not too long. The receiver is fairly thin and the screws can be so long as to stick too far into the action. Shorten the screws if necessary. As I remember the screws are different lengths for the front and back. Also a little blue lock-tite removable thread locker, available at Auto-Zone for one, applied to the base screws will help. 10 inches and erratic grouping up and down seems to indicate a loose or shifting mount. Also the receiver "could" be not parallel with the bottom of the Weaver base. If you tighten the back screw and the front raises up, or the front and the back raises up more than just a little, then the receiver and base aren't parallel. The 742 receiver base isn't perfectly flat. It might require shimming but that's another topic. My 2 cents!