New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sizing 270 Win.
 Login/Join

Picture of nighthunter1974
posted
I am reloading for a Remington semi-auto. I am having a problem getting the bolt to fully close. I have to push the bolt manualy to get it to close.
I am useing a Hornady full leighth sizing die.
Dose anyone have any ideas, or do I need any thing special to load for a semi-auto?

Posts: 22 | Location: north tx. | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
You probably need a small base FL die set. This sizes the cases down even more than regular FL sizing dies. Just for semi-auto's

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muskeg is right about the small based sizing die, but the first thing is to make sure that you are fully resizing with the die you have and trimming. autoloader tend to stretch brass which when resized makes it longer fast. If your case length after sizing is within spec and you have fully resized, and it still won't chamber, you need a small based resizing die. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger that about the small base dies.. That will more than likely solve your problem..

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Ditto---you have to use a small base resizer for best results, then make sure the brass is trimmed to the right length.

You shouldn't have anymore problems then.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you using the same brass that came out of the rifle, or are you trying to size brass from some other rifle. Shouldn't take a set of SB dies if the shells were fired in the same firearm you are loading them for... If the case came out of the firearm, it will go back in.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthunter1974:
I am reloading for a Remington semi-auto. I am having a problem getting the bolt to fully close. I have to push the bolt manualy to get it to close.
I am useing a Hornady full leighth sizing die.
Dose anyone have any ideas, or do I need any thing special to load for a semi-auto?
You might or might not need the Small Base Resizer as the others mentioned. Before you go buy something, describe how you "Set-Up" your Full Length Resizer in the Press.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of nighthunter1974
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,
I first set my die by raising the ram of the press to the highest position and threading the die down til the base of the die touches the shell holder than ajusting the die down 1/4 of a turn to give a slight cam over to the press handle.I now have ajusted the die down another 1/2 a turn or so.The cases are now loading ok but the press handle is camming over a little hard.
I don't have to set my 7mm die down that far, but my 7mm is a bolt action.(maybe thats the difference)

Posts: 22 | Location: north tx. | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
if you have trimmed the cases, cleaned the gun and sized like you said, its time for some small base dies or some other brand die. maybe try a friends sizer or another brand.

Are the bullets seated deep enough and crimped, sometimes improper crimping distorts the neck

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthunter1974:
Hot Core,
I first set my die by raising the ram of the press to the highest position and threading the die down til the base of the die touches the shell holder than ajusting the die down 1/4 of a turn to give a slight cam over to the press handle.I now have ajusted the die down another 1/2 a turn or so.The cases are now loading ok but the press handle is camming over a little hard.
I don't have to set my 7mm die down that far, but my 7mm is a bolt action.(maybe thats the difference)
Hey NH, It looks like you have the Set-Up correct.

If you are using a HEAVY Press (like a Rock Chucker or equivalent) you are "probably" OK to go on just the way you are right now.

Doc and KD mentioned "Trim Length" and that is a very valid concern.

Due to the way the semi-autos function, gas operated designs begin Extracting the Cartridge while significant Pressure is still present in the Case. This causes them to typically Expand a bit more than Cartridges fired in Bolts, Pumps, Levers and single shots.

As you Resize the Semi-auto Cases, since they Expanded larger, they also typically grow longer quicker. So, it is a real good idea to Trim them after Resizing with every firing. I even do that on Cases coming from my Bolt actions for consistency.
---

Since your 7mm is a Bolt Action, there is normally less Expansion in Cases coming from it to start with. Therefore, you have less Resizing to do.
---

This gets us back to those that recommended the Small Base Resizing Die. Even though you now have it Set-Up where it will feed and function with your regular Resizer, now I would also recommend the Small Base Resizer.

If you do get one, you won't have to screw it into the Press as far as your FL Resizer. And that means there won't be as much effort needed to "Cam over" the Press.

There will be more effort required to Resize the Semi-auto Cases compared to the Bolt Action Cases simply because they have Expanded so much during Extraction. This will be true with the Small Base Die because you are making them a bit "smaller" than when using the FL Die.
---

Actual "Case Life" will be shorter in the Semi-auto, but don't let that stop you from using it. Just clip a wire(Paper Clip) with a set of Side Cutters to create a Sharp Edge and bend the wire to form a small "L" shaped Feeler Gauge. Then check the inside of the Semi-auto Cases down near the Casehead at the Pressure Ring for Incipient Casehead Separation.

When you feel the groove, toss the Cases so you don't end up Extracting a Casehead and leaving the Casebody in the Chamber.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote