New
Find
Notify
Tools

case lube
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i use hornady one shot for all my straight wall pistol cases, only got a can and half left. looked on midway, is $17 a can now. any good substitutes being used or reccomended? thanks

Posts: 1543 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make your own. 1oz lanoline, 12oz Heet gas additive. Works very well.

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have been using one shot for a few years now.
It sell for 14$ around here T THe GUN SHOP.
I never have a stuck case. Just did 250 pieces of 22/250. straight wall cases, Carbide is the only way to go,
I tried some of the home made recipes and all I had was a mess, You may stumble the other way.
I used RCBS case lube for years, I dont miss it.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
I tried some of the home made recipes and all I had was a mess,.

The paint goes on the wall, not on the floor.

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:

+1 LOVE IT! No mess!

Hip

Posts: 1889 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For small batches of 50 or less I just use Imperial Sizing Die Wax....a small tin will last for years. You apply it individually with your fingers.

Dillon makes a spray lube that uses lanolin and maybe alcohol as a carrier...$15.99 for 8 ounces. Pump spray not aerosol. A bottle seems to last a lot longer than a can of One Shot It works just like Hornady One Shot which I also use.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use carbide dies for all straight walled pistol cases with no lube. But for bottle neck cases I started with the goo that came with my RCBS reloading setup but quickly found Imperial sizing wax and thought I was good to go until a friend showed me his Hornady One Shot. A can of One Shot lasts me a long time and the price is still well worth it IMO. No mess and it is easy to apply.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have tried all the commercially available lubes.

All work for sizing.

Now we almost exclusively use Imperial sizing wax, because we have plenty of it.

For re-forming, there is nothing better than the old RCBS sticky lube.

Works better than anything else.

We have had some samples of water based lubes, and they also work for normal sizing.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68784 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Imperial sizing Wax. Works good. I only do small batches these days but often big bore cases.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Imperial is the best, Ive used it for years, especially for tough jobs like reforming cases..Its slicker n snot! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:

+1 LOVE IT! No mess!

Hip

thats what i need. no mess!

Posts: 1543 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i knew i shoulda qualified my OP. i use One Shot on cases that feed from a dillon casefeeder to an 1100, so the lube needs to dry and be non sticky and be applied pump or aerasol.
i use imperial wax a lot on my necked cases in the single stage presses. down to 3 cans. probably outlive me and the kids.
i also use dillon and other carbide dies on my straight wall cases and 308/30-06, but still lube. much easier.
thanks for the replys

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a tub of mink oil from Walmart, pretty sure its the same thing as the Hornady. Been using mink oil for years when I ran out of Imperial years back.

Thanks Billy

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot about 60 rds. a week in three different calibers. The way I lube them is I mix the lanolin and Heet in a spray bottle, stand the cases up on a large piece of cardboard and spray them. I have a fan blowing on the cases so they dry in just a couple of minutes. Not really fast but not messy at all!

AND MY HANDS ARE NOW SOOOO SOFT !!! Big Grin dancing Wink

Hip

Posts: 1889 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
For case forming I'm a pretty big fan of Imperial, for sizing I've not had a bad aerosol case lube, and I've used a lot of One Shot as well. My favorite way for lubing when using a progressive press is to use a round plastic ice cream tub, just put a couple hand fulls of cases in it, give a healthy shot then swirl it around. Then hold it at about a 45 degree angle and shake so all the case mouths align up on top and give the mouths all a shot. It prevents the expander ball squeek and IMHO is easier on the case necks.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
STP. You can find it at any automotive store. I also use Imperil Sizing wax.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to use STP on a foam RCBS pad. Worked great. It was the default case lube back in the day.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Pam cooking spray

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I still have a lot of lube but am interested in the Imperial Sizing Wax. I have never heard of it but willing to give it a try. Where can I buy it?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the old Lee Tube lube mixed 1 part lube to 3 parts 75 % alcohol in a small spray bottle. Shake well until dissolved, spray on and let dry. If it sets to long some of the lube will come out of suspension and some alcohol will evaporate. Just re-shake.

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I still have a lot of lube but am interested in the Imperial Sizing Wax. I have never heard of it but willing to give it a try. Where can I buy it?

https://www.midwayusa.com/imperial/b?bid=1581

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's great for small batch stuff

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Imperial Sizing Wax. probably the big box stores. think i bought one at Brownells.

https://www.brownells.com/relo...2-oz--prod33078.aspx

Posts: 6489 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
one small can of imperial will last a couple of average life times!! get a tad on two fingers and a thumb and thats good for 25 cases then repeat..It just takes too little to work great, most folks Ive watched used way too much of it..as to the roller pads I use about anything thats slick..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KY Nimrod:
For small batches of 50 or less I just use Imperial Sizing Die Wax....a small tin will last for years. You apply it individually with your fingers.

Dillon makes a spray lube that uses lanolin and maybe alcohol as a carrier...$15.99 for 8 ounces. Pump spray not aerosol. A bottle seems to last a lot longer than a can of One Shot It works just like Hornady One Shot which I also use.

+1 for the Imperial wax.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1566 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

eBay probably or wait until you have an order from Midway or Graf, etc. so shipping cost doesn't eat you alive.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1566 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of cans of the Hornady One shot that I use on smaller rifle cases, but mostly use Imperial sizing wax on large rifle cases (.375 H&H and up), but recently bought a tub of Hornady Unique Case Lube and I really like it. I'm pretty sure it is a lanolin based lube, since the container says it can be used to soften leather boots. Easy to clean off, too.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote