Find
Notify
Tools

Appropriate Powder for Heavy Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey Guys,

Generally, I shoot the heaviest bullet for any of the calibers I own. In my present situation, I am shooting 280 gr. Swift bullets in my .35 Whelen.

According to my Beta Master Chrony I am getting 2,547 fps. with this bullet. (The rifle is set up to shoot heavy bullets.) The powder I am using is RL15 (60 gr.) and, the rifle seems to get all the potential from this powder. I believe that I was extreemly lucky to find this combination.

My question is how can I find this combination for a .405 Winchester I am having built?

Like the .35 Whelen, the 405 is in dire need of powder space. So, what do I do or how can I find out which powder will push a 350 gr. bullet the fastest and with the most accuracy from the rifle.

The rifle will have a long throat and a 28" barrel. The action is the P14.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Smoker* [Eek!]

Posts: 178 | Location: Pennsylvania - USA | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smoker* - according to my software these powders will be you best bets in the 405 Win. For heavy bullets <400 gr> H4895, Varget, or W748. For light bullets <300 gr> Rel7 or IMR3031. I will not provide actual loads as I refuse to be responsible for your use of that information. However, some impressive velocities are achieveable with an action as strong as your P14.

Posts: 2404 | Location: A Blue State | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judy,

Thanks for the info. I understand how difficult it is to share actual data these days. So, thanks again for the info.

Good Shooting,

Smoker

Posts: 178 | Location: Pennsylvania - USA | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote