Tools

cleaning primer pockets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
whats a good tool to clean primer pockets? SOMETHING FAST AND SIMPLE. thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you JUST want to clean them, a small flat head screwdriver will work. Most of the reloading manufacturing companies make both primer pocket cleaning brushes and uniformers. A uniformer will clean out and uniform the pp. Sinclair sells several models.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The sinclair uniformer in a adaptor for a electric screwdriver makes short work of cleaning and uniforming primer pockets and saves many hand cramps.....good luck and good shooting-loading!!

bigdaddytacp

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything you stick in a electric drill motor has the risk of wallowing out the primer pocket too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS brushes in my homemade, hand-powered spinner thingy.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS casemate power tool. Has five revolving stations. You can spin primer pocket brushes, primer pocket depth uniforming tools, flash hole deburing tools, outside neck deburing tools, inside neck champher cutters, bronze cleaning brushes, military primer pocket crimp cutters, any thing with an 8-40 male thread.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The primer pocket uniformer by Whitetail Design & Engineering. Beautifully made hand driven tool that is fast and simple.

Brass flows into the primer pocket when fired so best to clean and uniform after each firing. The Whitetail is sold by Russ Haydon.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The RCBS CASE PREP CENTER will do this job as quickly and efficiently as you can change cases! Most time saving addition to a reloading bench as anyone could ever have designed. The rotating power stations can be canged to include "military crimp removal tools" also and any number of things you want to do when getting to that "anal" stage of reloading. I've loaded thousands of rounds for a myriad of different chamberings by seating the primer on the down stroke of a single stage press. Did it make any difference? The vermin didn't notice a difference! Did I notice a difference when developing loads and chrongraphing ammo loaded the fastest way versus the "take any small step you can?" Not really but I do uniform all pockets as well as deburr flashholes on any brass I load now. And the cleaning of the primer pocket is a few short spins of the RCBS primer pocket brush driven by the little electric motor of the CASE PREP CENTER! Get yourself one! You'll be glad you got it! Charlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
SOMETHING FAST AND SIMPLE

A little piece of 0000 steel wool, wrapped around a wooden match stick. Sorta like a heavy duty Q-tip. Not the fastest, but it gets it done.

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS makes a short bristle steel brush. It's called a primer pocket brush. They come in large and small sizes, threaded 8/40 I suppose. Threads into the RCBS tool handle. That will clean out the crap.

Primer Pocket Uniformer fits the same threaded handle. That uniforms the pocket.

If you're serious, you want to use the "Flash Hole Deburrer" -- which is specific to caliber diameter and removes the burr on the inside of the primer flash-hole. This improves ignition consistency.

If you're in a big hurry, you need to find a hobby besides reloading.

Reloading is precision machine work. Improvised tools chucked in a drill don't make it.

http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm

Look at this link. Dispense with the "Bubba."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bulliwyf, if that was the case, primers would become harder to seat not easier as the case is.
Too much obsessing with primer pockets. IMO

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sinclair primer pocket uniforming tools work like a charm.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 7.62Rebel
posted Hide Post
I use a RCBS hand pocket cleaner for rifle and a Lyman power for pistol cases.Don't know why I just like doing my accurate rifle stuff by hand .

Go Galt

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a small craftsman straight screw driver i use to clean the crud out of primer pockets...... just one quick scrape and they are clean..............

HOMEMADE SPINNER THINGY?????????????????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7.62Rebel:
I use a RCBS hand pocket cleaner for rifle and a Lyman power for pistol cases.Don't know why I just like doing my accurate rifle stuff by hand .

That's right . . . by hand, accurately.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I put my cases in a tumbler. When they come out, they're shiny and bright and have media stuck in the flash holes and primer pockets which I remove with a straightened paper clip. That's all the cleaning they get.

Cleaning primer pockets is a waste of time but then, I guess, so is making my cases shiny and bright.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What grumuklin said +1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The various carbide precision primer pocket uniformers do a great job of uniforming the primer pockets and removing the primer residue. Since they are circle ground and do not cut on their sides they do not wallow the pocket out.
Since they have a square shoulder they control the depth accurately and cut the primer pocket bottom both flat and square.
Until you use one of them you have no idea how non uniform, out of flat, out of square, and deformed the bottoms of primer pockets are.

BTW use them with a power screwdriver or a battery powered drill and they are very fast and accurate.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The small screwdriver for rearsight adjusting that used to come with every Smith & Wesson revolver is what I used to use! Now I use either any screwdriver or the tool on my Forster Trimmer.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is assuming the power driven tool is introduced exactly perpendicular to the primer pocket and further assumes the steel tool is softer than the brass case. It also assumes that an exactly cut primer pocket has any effect at all on accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone who thinks primer pocket uniforming doea'nt help accuracy is wrong!!! your gun may not show any inprovment but mine normaly do. Good luck Eric Sinclair. by the way Haydon has the whitetail style and it is one of the best. call Russ at 253-857-7557

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stick one of the RCBS' primer pocket brushes in a cordless drill and have at the pocket cleaning job. It's fast, and does a good job.
I'm surprised at the number of guys who don't clean the pockets at all. They just seat primers in cruddy pockets, and continue loading. From what they say, accuracy is the same as with clean pockets.