Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Rem Mag TSX loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted
Has anyone loaded a 7mm Rem Mag with tsx bullets? I am having trouble finding reloading data.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old barnes bullets had a reputation for making more pressure than other bullets. The new tsx has less bearing area than the old ones so they pretty much make the same pressure as regular bullets. That being said I would start with them like any other. If it were me and I was working on a load I would pick what seems to be a powder with an accuracy reputation like RE22. I would start with load charges about 1/2 way between min and max and work up in .5 grain increments. I would suggest loading 5 shells at each increment and shooting for accuracy keeping track of how tight the groups are and where they land. It's very likely you could find a real "sweetspot" on your way up the ladder while testing for load pressure. Having someone else tell you a load worked in their gun doesn't mean it will work in your gun at all.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kraky,

Thanks I was mainly curious about pressure. I wasn't sure how they would react. I can't find load data on the tsx to compare them to other bullets. I am just going to compare them to a hpbt of same weight. I have never loaded 7 mag before but in my other rifles I have had good luck with imr 4350. have you ever loaded with imr4350?

Married men live longer than single men do,

but married men are a lot more willing to die.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Begin with the starting load for standard bullets of the same weight and work up.I personally have had the best luck in 7mmremmag with r-22 but your gun may prefer smething else.I do know of a couple of people that used the 140gr tsx on elk and moose this fall with great results.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4831 is also a good powder for 7mag. I used it for 20 years now with no complaints.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything from 4350 to slower will work in alot of 7mm mags. 4350, 4831, re19, re 22----all excellent choices.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
Which TSX bullet are you planning on loading. I can access the Barnes data but cannot copy. Let me know which bullet and I'll give you a couple of powders for it with data.

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rifle shoots 150gr bt very well so I bought 150gr triple shocks. I believe the BC is 529 I don't know if you need that or not. It is a new bullet for barnes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My load is a 160 TSX, Rem Brass, Fed 215 Mag primer, over a healthy dose of IMR 7828. Start at 65.0 gr and work up. My load is heavier than that, is safe in my Rifles, Inc. M-70 Win. I average 3050 fps out of a 24in bbl.

Doug

one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Cat Doctor:
My rifle shoots 150gr bt very well so I bought 150gr triple shocks. I believe the BC is 529 I don't know if you need that or not. It is a new bullet for barnes.

Okay....listed below are Barnes loading manual #3 recipies for 7mm Magnum 150 X. This is X bullet data and according to Barnes, you can increase the charege by 1 - 2 grains over the max charge listed. Work up carefully and check for any over pressure signs. The first three poweders are what Barnes recomends. I added the forth as it is a popular powder.

POWDER MINIMUM MAXIMUM VELOSITY
H4350 53.0 58.0 2882
IMR 7828 63.0 68.0 3021
RL19 60.0 65.0 3025
H4831 60.0 65.0 3002

Looks like the slower powders will give you more velosity. I have had outstanding results in each rifle I have loaded TSX's for. Good luck.

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I will give these a try and keep you posted on the results.

Married men live longer than single men do,

but married men are a lot more willing to die.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
T C D

I reload for a Browning Stainless Stalker and get 3150 out of this load for 160 gr. TSX flat base:

TSX 160 gr TSX
RL22 @ 66 gr
Fed 215M primers
WW brass

If I were loading the 150 gr TSX, I would start with 65 gr IMR4831 and work up in .5 gr incrments.

Seems like in each caliber between 270 and 338 that RL22 works well in the heavier bullets, IMR4831 in the medium weight bullets, and IMR4350 in the light weight bullets. JMHO

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote