Find
Notify
Tools

Finally put a Scope on the Whitworth.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Bob C and I took our Whitworths to the range Sunday.
I had just put Swarovski 1.5-4.5 on the rifle and wanted to try it out.

I had loaded up some Nosler 260 grain Accubond 2nds I had ordered. The load was 58 grains of RL-15 Remington premium plated case and Federal Gold Medal 215M primer.

The 100 yard range was full of hunters sighting in, so Bob and I settled in on the 50. I bore sighted the scope fired 4 rounds to center and then fired this 3 round group.

Now, I repeat it was only 50 yards, but I think I'm going to like those Accubonds!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, did you buy that gun from Will

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The load was 58 grains of RL-15 Remington premium plated case and Federal Gold Medal 215M primer.

Now, I repeat it was only 50 yards, but I think I'm going to like those Accubonds!

Rusty, are you sure of the powder charge?

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you've got a winning combo there Rusty, stick with it! If it's doing that well at 50 yds then in all probability it will do correspondingly well at 100, etc.

I'm just sighting in my Ruger M77 RSM .375 with a Leupold 1.5x5 VXIII with the 300gr Hornady RN. I'll report back hopefully by the end of the week with results.

Happy hunting...

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Paul,
I think I am? I posted it from memory. I'll recheck it and let you know.

I bought the rifle sight unseen from a hardware store up north. A member posted that he had seen the rifle. I contacted them and bought it.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I did check my load and I did use 58 grains of RL-15

Quickload data that Jeffesso provided, states that

75%of fill 58.25grains 2211 FPS

I just backed off to 58 grains even. A moderate load for my first trip to the range. I plan to keep it between 2200-2300 for my State side hunting.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Jeff,

Just too happy with that scope on the Whitworth, sorry.

First nice cold weekend we'll grab Bob, Mark and go shoot the Jeffery 475# 2 Jeffery.

I agree with Bob his is LOUD! As mark calls the muzzle break on my Apex, "It's a friend loos'n Son of a Bitch!"

I will up the bid to $65.00 since there must be something wrong with the scope. Heck I would even throw in another $5.00 for the rifle if you would split on the shipping cost.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
Just too happy with that scope on the Whitworth, sorry.

First nice cold weekend we'll grab Bob, Mark and go shoot the Jeffery 475# 2 Jeffery.

I agree with Bob his is LOUD! As mark calls the muzzle break on my Apex, "It's a friend loos'n Son of a Bitch!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, Rusty's did recoil more, but it was manageable. Rusty and I both agreed that my magnaported Whitworth was sure LOUD. We tried out some sweet shooting reduced loads, some xmp5744 with 300 fmj's that were great, accurate plinkers. I found a nice cast bullet load for my 375 using a bit of Unique. Maybe a nice short range texas whitetail and pig load. Jeff, I need to give you a call to talk about some shade tree gunsmithing. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

My Whitworth 375 is a shooter too. The barrel cleans up very easily as well, I'm very pleased with it. I've been shooting the variety of bullets that I got with the gun and all seem to be capable of MOA groups at 100 and 200 yards, even better, I shoot the gun well, coffee mugs at 100 yards are never safe from kneeling without a sling. I'm going to have recessed swivel studs installed but keep the barrel band too. That way I can sling up for long shots. I put a leupold 2.5-8x on it in talley QD rings since its next trip will be Namibia where I may need to stretch it a bit.

Posts: 1525 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
sorry i couldn't make it!! I was enjoying pork fajitas sunday at 1.. and then making the long haul back from SA to houston.

wish I could have been there...

Did Bob notice any difference in true felt recoil between ya'lls rifles?

i'll give you 60 bucks for that scope... as obviously it's just wrong for a 375

jeffe

Posts: 39682 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Interarms barrels shoot as well as any and better than most which makes them an even better bargain.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote