New
Find
Notify
Tools

Head stamped brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Having been "on the list" for over 2 years with Quality I am beginning to believe that there will ever be "sufficient backlog" or they will never get the material they're looking for to make the case I need. That said, I have obtained some basic brass from two sources and have formed 50 rounds. Does anyone know who does custom head stamps? Option 2: Has anyone tried to make a die on a shell holder that worked?

Posts: 117 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are the reasons for your need, it sure can be a pain and expensive, if one is concerned a dab of nail polish or whatever can separate two calibers such as the 30-06 brass and 338/06s.

Its claimed to be a problem when traveling to Africa but lots of wildcat cartridges with improper head stamps go over every year, so Im not sure where the rumor came from..If I was concerned Id never take a wildcat hunting..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I can make you a die to stamp the entire thing at once but you will need a two part system

The stamp and a holding fixture

CNC a graphite electrode
EDM the hard punch
The fixture could be turned and affixed to a heavy base
Time, materials plus heat treat.....won't be an inexpensive endeavor

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use Buckeye Engraving in Ohio. They will make you a die you can use a hammer, or press, with.
It will cost you $150-$200 for the die; you will have to make the inside mandrel.

Posts: 17193 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Interesting to know. I do cartridge conversions regularly but only for myself or ones, I trust to have sense. One could really open a can of worms there if some innocent got ahold of some wildcat + believed in the case stamping.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One could really open a can of worms there if some innocent got ahold of some wildcat + believed in the case stamping.

Offhand, I can't think of a wildcat that would present a problem in the standard chamber of the parent case. A wildcat will (1) have its shoulders blown out like an Ackley Improved, in which case it won't chamber in a standard chamber, or (2) be necked down to a smaller caliber, in which case the bullet will bounce harmlessly down the barrel at lower pressure, or (3) be necked up to a larger caliber which won't chamber in the standard chamber.

There may be some variation I'm missing here, but I can't see much hazard in someone attempting to fire a wildcat of any description in the standard chamber of the caliber headstamped on the case.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 548 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is exactly the type of stamping die I was talking about. Easy and efficient.

Posts: 17193 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If there is some close to you who has a fiber laser printer, they can print it on the brass.

I mark all our speciality tools that we make here with ours.

Works great on any material.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67619 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much heat does the fiber laser generate? Is there an issue with over heating the case head?

Jim

Posts: 548 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reform 30-06 brass to 7.65 Argentine. I also shoot 30-06 in my Garand. I can eyeball the difference, but the head stamp will confirm... if it’s a R-P case it’s 7.65 Argentine. If it’s HXP brass, it’s 30-06.

Simple...

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 962 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
If you can get that stamp for $100 you are getting a bargain

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jgrabow6493:
How much heat does the fiber laser generate? Is there an issue with over heating the case head?

Not at all.

The heat is very localized.

I even mark memory cards with it, no problems at all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67619 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote