New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading the M1 Garand
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have finally got a hold of one in the 15xxxxx serial # range. fella was desperate for money to feed his dog team and asked for 100.00 for it, wroter him a check for 150.00--good deal?

Anyways I am wanting to use this for all purposes but without military ball ammo. 168 grain Barnes seem in thought practical but need recommendations along with the use of brass make cheap or otherwise as well with primers and powders.

Would like to know if the small base dies are needed or regular full length sizer dies would do. Trimming is a must surely.

Am I missing something else? Would greatly appreciate the help.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the time, a small base die isn't necessary if your chamber is within specs. The only time you would need small base dies would be if your brass became quite over-sized due to your chamber. Having shot High Power matches in the past with several IH, Win and Springfield Garands; use the middle of the road loads for your rifle. I found that the Sierra 168 and 190 boat-tail hollow-points shoot very nicely. Last of all, get a loading manual that shows loads for Garands.

Cool Cool

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last of all, get a loading manual that shows loads for Garands.

Have quite a few manuals but none show the Garand. One mentioned the Hornady does. Another one for the "library". Good note-thanks.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming you are punching paper, I would suggest the 168gr Amax or 165gr Nosler Custom Comp bullets with about 47gr of 4895 and a M34 primer.

I'd suggest that you get a case gage and after completing your round drop it in to see if it is a fit. I find that extraction causes burrs on the rim that keep the case from fully seating. Dressing it with my dremel and a sanding drum generally corrects the problem immediately.

I wouldn't go over about 170gr bullets, and would stay with 4895, 4064 and 4320 powders. Using the M34 primers and a case gage is insurance against slam fires. We've had a couple at our range and they were not pretty. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Kudude hit the nail on the head. Excellent advice on all counts.

Couple more points, keep your chamber clean and take care to fully seat all primers.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Assuming you are punching paper, I would suggest the 168gr Amax or 165gr Nosler Custom Comp bullets with about 47gr of 4895 and a M34 primer

When I was loading for a Garand only powder I used was 4895. Bullets in the 168gr range. I used a small base die. However I never tried to see if a normal die would have worked.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Using the M34 primers and a case gage is insurance against slam fires.

good pointer-thanks

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
You got good information. Also do a search for Garand on the web. There is a wealth of information available. If I remeber correctly CMP gives a lot of good information. What a nice rifle.

I got one of the few that still exists in RSA, my garand's number starts with 25.

Wish I can get more info on the history of my rifle.

Enjoy shooting it, it is a beauty.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz007:
Anyways I am wanting to use this for all purposes but without military ball ammo.

You can't go wrong with IMR 4895. I have had good luck with this powder and Remington's 165 grain Core-lokt bullet. A flat based bullet much like the original 150grain ball round, this bullet will do all you could ask of it, and do it economically.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to play with loads outside the specified operation range of the garand's design,there is a gas plug made by McCann industries I beleive that has inserts of several different sizes that allow you to allow more or less gas to bypass thru the system, thereby alowing you to use 180 grain loads safely, without damaging the rifle.

Brownell's has them, last I looked.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady Volume 6 has a section on M1 Garand loads.

Ditto on IMR 4895, pulldown LC and M2 ball with WW LRP. Shot thousands in Service rifle.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got to say "Amen" to using the 165 grain Remington CoreLokt for Garand blasting, either in a .30-06 or .308 Garand. It is a cheap accurate bullet that performs well over IMR 4895 powder. Only real caution I have for loading for the Garand is to be very sure that your primers are seating fully. I high primer can ruin your entire day.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
A regular full-length sizing die is usually OK with the M1. Use "medium burning" powders like IMR 4895, IMR 4064, and WW 748 with the M1. My favorite load for mine is 47 grains of IMR 4064 with 165 to 168 grain bullets. This is a relatively mild load, MV around 2600 FPS, pretty much equalling the GI. National Match load ballistics..... I would consider the 180-grain bullet to be the upper limit for bullet weight in the M1, and would not use powders as slow as IMR 4350 in it.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Watch what primer you use. I had a slam fire before the action fully locked up and it will definitely ruin your day and your action. Was using Federal primers at the time.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Grizz....down here in Cal. I have seen a few Garands go at auction for almost $1000......not sure how rare they were though....

and you should be commended for UPPING the price for him......not many would do that !!!!

JJB

Posts: 20 | Location: Santa Rosa, California | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a relatively mild load, MV around 2600 FPS, pretty much equalling the GI. National Match load ballistics.....

with the gas port being of one size it seems quite clear now that the concern is a pressure related one and not of velocity. will keep it in relation to the USGI velocity range.

As for me getting a good deal - I thought I did surely. Though I just done a bore end check if you will by inserting a .30-06 round into the bore and found it to go on past the bearing surface of the bullet and contacting the neck of the brass. Looking into the Fulton Armory chrome lined bbl.now.

Any recommendations on who would do a good job of installing one? I called up an old armorer close by and he mentioned it might be bit difficult-cause it was chrome lined? Any case a chrome lined will or should last reloading/shooting Barnes 150-168 TSX for some time.

appreciated all the help and personal input-thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizz,

PM me with your snail mail address.
I will send you a copy of the Hornady section on loading for the Garand, and also a couple of articles by John Clarke on port pressure and match loading fo the Garand.
Kudude summed it up beautifully.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote