Find
Notify
Tools

case cleaning
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
BOOM FYI--Did a lot of tumbling the last two days; both rotory and vibratory. All things being the same the vibratory wins hands down by a huge shocker factor. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have both and the rotary works just as good but you cannot load as much in it as the vibrator

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
BOOM .......All things being the same the vibratory wins hands down by a huge shocker factor. beerroger

Unfortunately for me, my wife would agree with you.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pdhntr1:
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
BOOM .......All things being the same the vibratory wins hands down by a huge shocker factor. beerroger

Unfortunately for me, my wife would agree with you.Jim

As long as she's the only one to reach that conclusion you're still in the BALL game. shockerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm curious as to why one would want to use a rotary tumbler for polishing brass ?.
My Dillon vibratory does a spiffy job as does the Ultrasonic cleaner .

Rolling and tumbling makes for crooked case mouths doesn't it ?. I've heard that as I don't own one don't know that for fact .

I have a net mesh bag that I clean shot shells in the washer . I throw in a couple of old sheets or towel add just a touch of fabric softener they come out PRETTY !.
Of course the Wife isn't home when I do it !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
In my experience a vibratory "tumbler" will not clean up old tarnished cases. While it will clean them it does not remove stains or tarnish. Unless of course you leave them in there for several days. Unacceptable.

Hence the rotary tumbler. One quart water, plus a squirt of good liquid dish soap, plus 1/4 cup white vinegar, five six hours later you have NEW, NEW, NEW appearing cases. Wash thoroughly in cold clean water, agitate, rinse, agitate, rinse and dry. You can put them on a tray in the sun, blow them off with a hair dryer or heat gun, or, my favorite, put them on the wood stove for one or two minutes. Works like a champ and I've been cleaning cases like this for about 15 years or so. I've fired many of these cases in excess of 10 times with never a problem, and had many in storage for years with not a hint of corrosion.

Regards,
Eric

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin, July 4 1776
Lost once in the shuffle, member since 2000.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eric:
In my experience a vibratory "tumbler" will not clean up old tarnished cases. While it will clean them it does not remove stains or tarnish. Unless of course you leave them in there for several days. Unacceptable.

Hence the rotary tumbler. One quart water, plus a squirt of good liquid dish soap, plus 1/4 cup white vinegar, five six hours later you have NEW, NEW, NEW appearing cases. Wash thoroughly in cold clean water, agitate, rinse, agitate, rinse and dry. You can put them on a tray in the sun, blow them off with a hair dryer or heat gun, or, my favorite, put them on the wood stove for one or two minutes. Works like a champ and I've been cleaning cases like this for about 15 years or so. I've fired many of these cases in excess of 10 times with never a problem, and had many in storage for years with not a hint of corrosion.Regards,Eric

Dog gone ,Eric, I knew there was a better way. I'll just go out and buy a wood stove. Ben Franklin type of course homerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had mine in the Dillon longer than 2 Hrs. ON ANY CASES no matter how filthy they were !.

Brass that has been setting on the ground at ranges or in buckets for years and years , clean up for me with very little prep .

First I wash with Borax and baking soda hot water ( I don't use acetic acid Vinegar ) I do use two cap fulls of phosphoric acid in the mix .

I let them soak for 30 minutes agitating a couple of times and neutralize with baking soda and water then rinse with water . Let them roll around in my tumbler separator and dry then put them in the Dillon for 20-45 minutes .

I never do it again one time only , after that the Dillon for maybe 20 minutes after 10-25 loadings .

Boeshield T9 allows me to simply wipe the cases after reloading ( It's my lube of choice ) put them into my plastic ammo boxes .

Good to go and they just don't get dirty for several reloadings , of course when resizing they have to be wiped every time but what doesn't !.

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
I'm curious as to why one would want to use a rotary tumbler for polishing brass ?.

Why? because I've inherited 3 rotary machines and bought 1 vibratory and have a large number of cases to clean after five days. What is a mother to do? Confused

Oh! The vinegar and salt works just fine and if you don't mind a little metalic taste in your salad when through tumbling---- Nough said shockerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Understood Roger .If you own it might as well use it .
Rotary Tumblers
Do they indeed bang up case mouths ?.

Borax Baking Soda are powerful cleaners as is salt used in proper context .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DR.K nope

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by plainsman456:
DR.K nope

thumb x 2 thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

try this....ultrasonic as opposed to corn husk/ walnut shell cleaning processes. I did and will not look back....

My ultrasonic unit was 50.00 and came from
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do...sultsPerPageBottom=0

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been using a tumbler foryears to clean dirty cases from the range and again after case preparation. No problems, no case mouth dents ot dings, just clean shiny cases.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vibratory for cleaning and polishing cases.Rotary for degreasing cases and molly coating bullets. I do not lift the vibratory tumbler while it is working and always leave the media in the bowl after I am finished.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote