New
Find
Notify
Tools

69-77grs in cal 223
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

Will there be a problem with 69-77 grs bullets in cal 223 that the overall length is too long for the mag?Someone have told me this can be a problem,so better ask the forum before buy bullets!

Dillon

Dillon

Posts: 15 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dillon:
Hello,

Will there be a problem with 69-77 grs bullets in cal 223 that the overall length is too long for the mag?Someone have told me this can be a problem,so better ask the forum before buy bullets!

Dillon

Not true, oal is 2.260" for the 77gr Sierra, will fit fine in any mag. Now, the 80gr Sierra is a different story, oal is 2.550" on that baby. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OAL can/should be whatever works best, or mag length if required. AR-15 mags are standard at 2.26", but there are aftermarket mags to accomodate the 80's (or 75Amax's).
Many bolt gun mags are more generous than 2.26"...

Bigger concern is barrel twist rate!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rifle is Sako Varmint and now barrel is 1-8".Have be told that a 1-8" barrel twist rate will handle 69-77grs Sirra with no problem!

Dillon

Dillon

Posts: 15 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1:8 should be excellent for the 69/77'Sierra's, and now Nosler makes the equivalent bullets.
Your twist should work for the 80's also, though marginal. Only way to know is to try.
Enjoy!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 77gr bullets were designed to be the heaviest you could shoot in an AR15 magazine. My 20" 1/8" twist flattop shoots 69,77, and 80gr bullets very well, you just have to single load the 80gr. I don't have a 800 - 1,000 range so I don't need to bother with the 80's.

Your 8" twist bolt gun may be a LOT of fun.

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote