THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safe way to deprime unfired primers??????
 Login/Join

<Hunter333>
posted
I bought some [rimed brass that wont go boom. I was gonna toss it all but then got to wondering if there is a way to SAFELY deprime the brass? If not, no big loss, i didnt pay much for them. But if there is a safe way, I would love to hear it! Thanks

------------------

<Don G>
posted

<ssleefl>
posted
If your firing pin won't set them off then you should be OK to decap them in your press.
I am another one who has never(knock on wood)
had one go off on the bench although you hear stories every now and then. Go slow and wrap a towel around it.

Please sign disclaimer here ________________

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Shoot a bit of WD40 into the flash hole & let them set overnight. Go slow & decao in your press. Wear those safety glasses just in case.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
even if the don't go bang!, fire them in your gun before attampting to decap them.
when you decap them, wear heavu gloves and safety glasses.
a primer is as small personal mine!
montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
<Hunter333>
posted
i had thought about firing them but wasnt sure if that was a good idea either. Looks like it should be OK as long as I: wear safety goggles and gloves, take my time, and pray a lot LOL Thanks guys!

------------------

<Powderman>
posted
If my supposition is correct, you might have opted to purchase (as I did) some mil surplus match brass, probably in .30-06. If this is the case (easily identified by the really, REALLY icky looking brass), have no fear. The primers have been chemically deactivated. But, to be on the safe side, I probably would wear some standard safety equipment (goggles, gloves, maybe a heavy apron, too) before depriming. Good luck!

------------------
Happiness is a 200 yard bughole.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
This was just thoroughly discussed here two weeks ago. Read this link http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/002004.html

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunter333>
posted
Mission complete without a bang! i did have on the saftey goggles, leather gloves, and had a towel wrapped around the brass. Thanks again for the help. Sorry I missed the earlier discussion, if I had known I would not have asked.........

------------------